Gonna oc my 8800gt, tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd urge a little more caution than the other guys are suggesting. Not that their advice is wrong, but I've heard one or two horror stories from people who have been unlucky with their GTs, and found that they really had very little headroom for overclocking. One guy just boshed in a quite low overclock that someone else had attained, straight out of the box, without testing, and found his GT was not only incapable, but also fried as a result. His fault, but still, that kind of practice often works.

So (as you should with all overclocking), take it little by little, better to waste time and keep your GPU intact, particularly since these GTs seem to run hot and have a smaller OC margin.

Last night I popped my Overclocking cherry and I was pretty careful and slow about it, each increase saw two 3Dmark06 runs and everything went smooth.

Thats what warranties are for, silly! :p

Very wise advice as well :D

Rivatuner

After reading that noob tutorial on using RivaTuner to OC your fan settings and card, it was amazing. I really like the program, my only qualm is if I try and set my card past 670/970 it will just revert back to 670/970, it will take the additional OC, i'll run 3Dmark and i'll have lower FPS usually, then after I restart it will be back at 670/970

But the fan profiles I made seem perfect.

Does xfx give the double warranty if you buy it off ebay? I know evga doesnt consider ebay an approved vendor for getting the lifetime warranty.

I have ntune and can easily get it from 625/900 (stock oc) to 650/990 but every time I restart my computer the settings revert to the stock oc. I remember having this same problem with my amd system.

Any suggestions for making my settings stick?

Ntune was garbage at overclocking a 7900gs I had a while back, ITS CRAP!! it didn't even save overclocks half of the time, and the other half it was unstable with overclocks that RivaTuner and ATiTool passed with flying colors, its overclocking abilities are like Clockgen for overclocking CPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom