Will OCing get me through a bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revinant99

Beta member
Hi All.

I have a game called Crysis. Plays great on my duo, but my wife wants to play and it plays somewhat ordinary on her pc (my hand me down).

Athlon 64 3000+
ga k8ns socket 754 board
6800 gs/xt 512mb (bios reads it as a 6800 gts 512)
as for ram it has 768mb of ddr 400 and i have an old stick or ddr 266 (512mb)

Firstly) is 1.3 gig of ram at 266mhz better or worse than 768mg of ram at 400mhz? (the ddr 400 slows to the 266mhz speed when its installed.)

Ram asside (i can always just buy another stick).... Is my processor or my gpu the most likely bottleneck? and will some OCing likely lift it a little.

Thirdly) have any of you OCed the above gpu or cpu/mobo
combination.... any stable OC targets to save time?

Many many thanx. Revinant99.

When it comes to gaming, I think the amount of RAM takes more into play, than the speed of the RAM.

The whole system is mostly the problem here, when you're talking about a game, that can't even play max on some of the most high end systems, on a high resolution.

Many members here, have overclocked their CPU and GPU. But I would suggest, you overclock the CPU first, and get the fastest stable clock. Then work with the GPU.

Cheers for the reply B1,

I have been trawling the net for a few hours and i found the crysis official min spec.

it appears they looked at my machine and said ok... heh.

min rec:
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8GHz; Graphics: NVIDIA 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0); RAM: 768MB/1GB; HDD: 6GB; Internet: 256k+; Optical Drive: DVD; Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

recommended:
CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent
RAM: 1.5GB
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX10 with Windows Vista

So it appears my saving grace was wuying that card 2 years ago to play BF2

well off to install easytune 4 and load up my cpu. thanx for the advice.

Crysis is one of those games that pushes your computer to the edge. My computer can play it but even then there are some improvements that would make it run better and faster. It really is a great game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom