Upgrading an Acer PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misdemeanour

Solid State Member
Hey, I recently bought an Acer Aspire T180 Sempron and am currently in the process of upgrading it (this is my first ever upgrade).

I have installed 4gb RAM which works fine and want to also change the AMD Sempron 3400+ to an AMD Athlon X2 5000+. I can't seem to find the exact specification of the motherboard it simply says that it is an nVidia nForce. I went onto the nVidia website and did some cross refrencing and I think that the new CPU should work, I just want some clarification.

I am also buying an nVidia GeForce 8600 GT and wondered also wether this would work without any problems.

Current PC Specs:
Aspire T180, AMD Sempron 3400, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, DVD RW, GeForce 6100 Graphics, 9 in 1 Card Reader, XP SP2

Thanks in advance,

Welcome-to-TF.png

I'm guessing it's using socket AM2, since it's using DDR2 RAM. Which the X2 5000+ should work on. To clarify, can you please download a program called CPU-Z, and post a screenshot of the CPU and mainboard tab.

For a little more than the 8600GT, you can get a better card, in the HD3850.

Thanks. But it is very difficult, to make out the motherboard model.

Can you please post the model number?

Ah good stuff, thanks for your help. I'm now considering ripping it all out and sticking it in a new case and have come up with this but am unsure as to wether this would be a wise choice:

Case - Casecom LG-3360 Black Mid-Tower Windowed Case with Red LED and Red LED 12cm Front Fan - £19.99
CD/DVD - Out of Acer PC
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 5000+ - £70.43
Controller Card - Out of Acer PC
Display Screen - N/a
Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce 8600 GT - £44.06
Hard Disk - Out of Acer PC
Modem - Out of Acer PC
Motherboard - Out of Acer PC
Network Card - Out of Acer PC
PSU - X-Power 500 Watt Psu - 20+4 Pci-e & Sata - £29.99
RAM - Out of Acer PC
Sound Card - Out of Acer PC
CPU Fan - Cooler Master Hyper TX2 - £13.99

TOTAL = £178.46

What site are you buying from?

The power supply doesn't look reliable, telling from the brand name.

Oh infact just looking at the reviews, 2 of them said that it failed and one of them blew an internal component after just 4 hours. I think I'll give that one a miss. Could I just use the one out of the Acer PC or is there a budget one you can find for me?

Yes, there is another more reliable brand I can find for you, if you tell me the site you're buying from.

Or if it's not a site, a brand I would suggest according to your budget, is FSP (Fortron Source).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom