Hard (to understand) Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blind_Arrow said:
just adding one more thing, S-ATA's are Hot swappable ( means that you can unplug/re-plug data cables while system is running.

Good point. I did not mean to suggest that he hot swap in order to compare. I should have said d/l a benchmarking utility before he installs the new SATA if he goes that route.

koldapu said:
i also agree with agex . . .

on newegg, a comparable PATA (parallel ata) and SATA are only $3-4 apart . . .

same drive, but different interface

if your mobo can handle it, then get a sata

be careful with the SATA drives, they are a pain in the ass to install windows onto.

If i could go back in time i'd just get an ATA drive and be done with it. EXTREMELY easy install compared to the 3 hour+fight with the stupid SATA drivers, and my floppy drive.

Blind_Arrow said:
...not all S-ATA's coem with both power connectors, I have WD (with S-ATA Power conenctor only)...

Really? My WD has both.

slvrstang said:
be careful with the SATA drives, they are a pain in the ass to install windows onto...

I wouldn't say a pain in the ass. They are the easiest things to install.

What is a pain in the ass though, is trying to locate the drivers for your controller, if you don't have them already.

agex000 said:
Really? My WD has both.

I wouldn't say a pain in the ass. They are the easiest things to install.

What is a pain in the ass though, is trying to locate the drivers for your controller, if you don't have them already.

Exactly, my OEM drive came with nothing, and apparently i needed 3 SEPERATE DRIVERS to make it recognize it correctly to install windows onto. I only had 1 floppy disk so i tried them all seperately and it didn't work so i installed one driver, took out the floppy, formatted and installed another driver repeat 1 more time and viola. 3 hours total for 150mbs instead of 133 even though neither of them run at those speeds ever.

slvrstang said:
Exactly, my OEM drive came with nothing...

That's because you need the drivers for your SATA controller, not the SATA HDD itself! ;)

agex000 said:
That's because you need the drivers for your SATA controller, not the SATA HDD itself! ;)

Newegg.com doesn't even sell retail HD's ONLY OEM.

As do many other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom