First Build!!! Advice wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Durftard. I'm happy to see so many people responding. I made the same thread on dev hardware and only 1 person responded. With all the info you guys have given me, I have a lot to go over. I'm on my way to work right now, but I'm sure I'll have some more questions later.

Ok guys. I've taken all you advice to heart and done some more research on my own. I have a few more questions, but first. Here is what I am looking at right now.

Gigabyte DS3R - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Q6600 - ClubIT Product - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor OEM HH80562PH0568M SLACR

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB - Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 320GB - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Antec 900 - Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Corsair 520HX - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Tuniq Tower 120 - Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

Arctic 5 Silver - Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Ok, so that's where I am right now. Here is what I haven't decided yet.

What OS should I use? I can get XP Pro 32bit for free from work. We have a license for like 200 copies and only used 20 or 30. Is the 32bit version ok or do I need 64bit? Or should I just say screw it and go with Vista.

Second. I'm trying to decided if I should wait on the Tuniq 120. The money is getting tight and so I'm going to buy some of my stuff in like two weeks. My question is? If I decide to wait on the Tuniq and I install the OEM HSF, how hard is it to separate the HSF from the processor to install the Tuniq?

Last one, yall recommended this processor:
ClubIT Product - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor OEM HH80562PH0568M SLACR
what is the difference in that processor and this one, and is they any benefit to spending the extra money?
ClubIT Product - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor Retail BX80562Q6600 SLACR

I really appreciate all the help and I apologize for making such a long post.

The build looks good. As for the Q6600's the first one is OEM which means just the chip wrapped in bubblewrap. No retail HSF which you don't need anyway.

The build looks good. As for the Q6600's the first one is OEM which means just the chip wrapped in bubblewrap. No retail HSF which you don't need anyway.

Well if he is planning on using the stock heatsink, then buy a tuniq tower down the road, he will need the retail version of the Q6600.

Also something i thought i would mention, if the CM stacker is still on sale for 99$, you should check it out and see if you like it.

if you buy the OEM processor, you have to buy a heatsink to go with it.

you can go with the retail one and use the stock HSF for a while. it's easy to remove and clean when for when you get the tuniq.

XP 32-bit will work just fine

Well considering the price difference in the OEM and retail of about 20 bucks..it would be more money to pay 20 for the crap stock one and then the full price of the Tuniq later.

Also the CM Stacker is a great case as well and if its on sale for only 99 bucks then that is an excellent deal and will save some more money.

Awesome. Thanks Durtfard. One last quick question. I just noticed that the Ballistix 2GB is out of stock on new egg until the 14th. I plan to start purchasing stuff tomorrow. Should I wait for it to get back in stock or is there a replacement that is just as good. I've heard good things about OCZ when it comes to clocking.

I would go with the OEM Q6600 and put the $20 you save towards the tuniq. Also, the tuniq comes with it's own thermal grease, but some people want to use Arctic Silver cause they think it's better, I guess, but you can just use what comes with it.

you could go with a power supply like this and save some dough and get more watts Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 90 - 264 V Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSMI, FCC, CCC - Retail

It sucks they are sold out of that $40 ballistix tracer, or I would order 2 sets right now. Also sucks that they had a $40 mail in rebate on the 900 case until like 5 days ago... I was gonna buy that, now I'm just thinking of going with this
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I would just go with the XP since it's free, there aren't even any 64bit games yet

If you don't want to wait for the ballistix tracer to come back, which it may not for $40, just get the regular ballistix PC6400 for $50 after rebate.
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Also the CM Stacker is a great case as well and if its on sale for only 99 bucks then that is an excellent deal and will save some more money.

The CM Stacker is $99 after the rebate. It costs more money on the front end, so it is out of the question for me.

you could go with a power supply like this and save some dough and get more watts Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 90 - 264 V Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSMI, FCC, CCC - Retail

It sucks they are sold out of that $40 ballistix tracer, or I would order 2 sets right now. Also sucks that they had a $40 mail in rebate on the 900 case until like 5 days ago... I was gonna buy that, now I'm just thinking of going with this
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I would just go with the XP since it's free, there aren't even any 64bit games yet

If you don't want to wait for the ballistix tracer to come back, which it may not for $40, just get the regular ballistix for $50 after rebate

Thanks for the link to that power supply. I was worried that the 520 wasnt going to be powerful enough. The only thing is that I really wanted modular to make the case look good. Is it possible to run a clean wire setup with a non modular PSU.

I'm very happy to hear everyone tell me to go with XP. That takes a good chunk of change off of my build.

You selected the tracers which are the same except with LED's i think. The regular are still here and with a 49.99 MIR. These are what are usually recommended anyway.

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

So there is no difference between the tracers and the reqular performance wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom