Display sig once per thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
At least one forum I frequent does this...

Each poster's sig is displayed on the first post made to a thread, but the graphic isn't shown on any following posts made by that poster. This allows for faster load times and less scrolling to get through all of the sig images.

Since many here on Tech-Forums are on dial-up, I figured I would toss this out there. vB may not even allow it, bu... meh.

At least one forum I frequent does this...

Each poster's sig is displayed on the first post made to a thread, but the graphic isn't shown on any following posts made by that poster. This allows for faster load times and less scrolling to get through all of the sig images.

Since many here on Tech-Forums are on dial-up, I figured I would toss this out there. vB may not even allow it, bu... meh.

i agree, but maybe the solution would be restricting the size of the sigs... that way some ppl dont get upset about it as peter down there. :D

No to reducing too. The sig is small as it is. Also, once the sig is loaded into cache, the browser will use the cached image, so there isn't going to be reloading of a sig.

Let's face it though, if you have dial up isnt it time you caught up?
Im sure vbull allows just a pure text mode which would be better for people who cannot actully get broadband/cable in their area, maby we could look into this?

in my personal opinion is just sometimes little difficult to read the actual msg that somebody post when the sig is big, and then just imagine that in a post that has several msg from that person PLUS others with big sigs... it actually becomes annoying... now the topic here is the bandwidth so: i agree with Tkey, is a solution for those 56k ppl. or tell those 56k ppl that upgrade to DSL and problem solved. xDDD

i bet you like the second option. xD (im sorry im kind of bored)

Yea we shouldn't cater to dial ups, they bought dial up and should deal with their desicion

And I don't hear, if at all, members mentioning they have dial-up for internet access.

The only member I am aware off that still uses dialup is nightstick so there is one or two members out there that have dial up but they are in a minority.

Many who come here looking for answers are on dial-up. For those who live outside the US, or live in a metro area, you may not be aware that there are vast numbers who do not have access to ANY type of broadband besides satellite (which costs a small fortune, depending on your area). Rural America is basically screwed for anything besides dial-up.

As to the browser cache, yeah I know. The main point for most would be not having to scroll through all of the sigs. My own sig, while within the rules (including the extra the mods get), is still fairly large. If I post three times in a thread, that's three times you have to scroll through it. Showing it once would eliminate that.

Yes, there is an option to turn of sigs, as well as one to turn of avatars. I prefer to see the sigs, but it just takes up a lot of space to repeat them every post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom