Windows XP history file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
How do I delete the Windows history file? Or more so where is it? Also will deleting it cause problems with some programs? Why is it even there?

The history file is just for the locations you have been thru Internet Explorer for the las 20 days. It can be removed by going into the Internet Explorer tools. Right on the screen that pops up you will see history there. Just delete it and then go into the settings and change the time limit to 0 (Zero) to stop it from saving.

This is there for several reason. 1. Businesses can spy on thier workers making sure they dont go to sites they are not supposed to during work hours.
2. Parents can check on thier kids for pretty much the same reasons.
3. Some people like having the history so they dont have to bookmark or remember all the sites they visit.

It is stored in the App Data folder which is hidden by default. Deleting it isnt possible. It will give you a error saying it is in use. Trying to force delete it will give you problems. Just do what i said above and it wil be as gone as it can be. Also using CCleaner will get the job done as well.

Download and install CCleaner (it's small and free). It will clean up all of that, plus a whole lot else. If you are worried about someone retracing where you've been online, you definitley want CCleaner. :D

You can find it on a lot of download sites. I prefer majorgeeks.com myself.

windows has some other history files. I forgot what they are called.

evidence eliminator will get rid of it

evidence eliminator will get rid of it

Nope it doesn't. Already tried.

It cannot be deleted through IE because its the "Windows" history file not the IE history file. It has nothing to do with IE. Its a file that shows every file opened, every web site visited, and every application executed.. Its the Windows history file. Its a history of what you have done in Windows. This is the file I am looking for. Its probably the largest history file on your computer.

Alright i just went thru my entire PC from top to bottom looking in every folder there is. There is no history file that says everything you have done. If there is i have eliminated it cause i dont ahve any history files other than my IE history which is 32KB. that is the index.dat which can not be deleted.

So either A.) you are ultra paranoid or B.) the file you are asking about doesnt exist cause i can not find it having EVERY FILE SHOWING. Not jsut system file but every file. And i still can find it.

Even thru a search. So if it is there it is still hidden. Which i highly doubt.

Alright i just went thru my entire PC from top to bottom looking in every folder there is. There is no history file that says everything you have done. If there is i have eliminated it cause i dont ahve any history files other than my IE history which is 32KB. that is the index.dat which can not be deleted.

So either A.) you are ultra paranoid or B.) the file you are asking about doesnt exist cause i can not find it having EVERY FILE SHOWING. Not jsut system file but every file. And i still can find it.

Even thru a search. So if it is there it is still hidden. Which i highly doubt.

it's there.

you guys don't want to think that windows is tracking you but they are. they been been putting it there since win98 or win 95. it's not suppose to let you know that it's there. it hidden. the fbi and law enforcement use it against criminal, terrorist and child molesters. we talked about this this a few times a few years ago. again I forget the name of it

Yh it's sure there, I don't even think its cleared with a reformat is it?

Are you talking about index.dat files SPL Tech ?
These can be cleared with a number of free progs, such as CC Cleaner, Tracks Eraser, Privicy Eraser and more. Google and pick your favroite :)

it's there.

you guys don't want to think that windows is tracking you but they are. they been been putting it there since win98 or win 95. it's not suppose to let you know that it's there. it hidden. the fbi and law enforcement use it against criminal, terrorist and child molesters. we talked about this this a few times a few years ago. again I forget the name of it

Well then it is super hidden. Cause i searched every inch of my PC. If you cant find it with every file showing then you never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom