Overclocking Ram problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higach

In Runtime
Hey, I just got my zalman 9500 and started cranking my e6400..

I stated before that I had it at 320x8 2.56ghz on stock cooling when I had one gig of ram.. I got a 2nd gig of ram a several months later (same model), and all i could get on the same settings was 300x8 2.4ghz.

Anyway, recently I had been messing with it before I got the zalman and all i got was 313x8 2.504ghz and after that I had problems. I tried EVERYTHING and couldnt get it.. so now that I got my zalman I was determined to figure out why I cant get this at 3.2ghz+..

anyway I tried it with JUST my single stick of ram from before and got 400x8 3.2ghz EASY.. but when I add the 2nd gig it doesnt work..

So my question is why would a 2nd stick of the same model ram not let me OC it anywhere near as far as the first stick? Is it just bad ram or a bad stick? I really want to keep it at least 2.8-3.2ghz without having to sacrafice the 2nd stick ><..

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Higach

Yes it's definitely the ram. I tried the same settings as the first stick with just the second stick, and didn't even get close of working.

Now my question is, What would cause this? And more importantly what can I do?

My only comfort is the ram is dirt cheap now.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail

Sad part was I bought the first stick when it was 109 bucks, the second when it was 75 bucks.. and now its 28 LOL, and I have 14 bucks off to newegg so big whoop 14 bucks..

But still I don't want to just throw that 75 bucks in the garbage because the ram is most likely a dud stick...

EDIT: Also would it be possible to buy it for 28 bucks now, and then when i get it put in the bum stick and RMA it and just get whatever money back I could get? I am sure its not the correct way to do it but would it be possible or would that not work?

EDIT2: Actually, I checked my newegg account and I can still return/exchange the ram from when I bought it for 75 bucks.. would that be a better idea and just say its not working correctly, and having a lot of problems when it comes to overclocking as oppose to the other? or is newegg like every other company and you cant use overclocking as an excuse because it voids your warrenty etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom