dummie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

novalou

Beta member
HI
I need some help. I had a problem (blue screen of death) I installed windows xp in a different directory so I can retreive my files, now i need to uninstall the first Window xp because i only have 68 mb of disk space left....any ideas? I can not reinstall and format because I lost my disk..i know what a dummie
Thanks Linda

just run msconfig and take the os you don't want out of the boot.ini and then delete the windows directory and whatnot.. that should pretty much get rid of it, i dunno what else to though, but that's a start.

dummie

I just went to msconfig..boot.ini but I do not see a way to get rid of it, I can move it up or down, and set one or the other as default. I do not see a way to delete it, or a way to take it out...what do i do?

NovaLou, sorry i didnt' see your posting earlier. Using the MSConfig utility only removes applications from starting when booting up. It does NOT apply to your situation.

Based on your posting i'm gonna assume you're not very computer literate - and thus you probably installed the 2nd XP on the same partition as the first one. That's fine if you did. If so, simply look on the root drive of C:\ and look for a file called "Boot.ini" . It is a system file so it will probably be hidden when you try to view it under Explorer, so you can turn that feature off by going into Tools menu, Foler options, then click on the view tab to change that.

Once you've located the file, you can edit it w/ a simple text editor like Windows Notepad. Copy the contents of that file here and i'll guide you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom