monitor and graphics card communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

nir211

Beta member
Hi,

I am trying to replace my trusted CRT screen with a new PnP TFT LCD. The Windows XP splash screen shows very nicely, but when the login screen comes up the screen freezes, and shows weird dots on it.

I've guessed it's a resolution problem, and when I connected my CRT and changed resolution to lowest (640x480) I could reconnect my TFT and log into windows. however, all the screens' hardware buttons (brightness, auto-adjust, etc.) didn't function.

Thing is it wouldn't support any higher resolution, not even 800x600.

I've updated the video card driver, tried with windows' "PnP monitor" and "Default monitor" (don't have monitor's drivers on their site) but the screen freezes on higher resolutions.

Finally what I did was connect the screen's power supply when I was already logged in. Only then did the screen work, and now I am working with it in it's native resolution of 1280x1024/SXGA, 32-bit color.

Every time I power up my computer I have to do this thing - take out the power cord from the monitor and plug it back in. Also, when I shut down my system I have to physically remove the power cord again, since the auto-shutoff feature the monitor has doesn't work.

I know it's not the monitor since on my other computer it worked just fine - no resolution problems, no freezing, no PnP recognition problems, and all the hardware buttons fully functional and auto-shutoff working.

I'd appreciate any help since I'm completely lost here. Never seen anything like this before.

Thanks!

System:
----------
Windows XP Pro

P4 hyperthread CPU

Intel 82945G Express onboard video

Analog video connector to screen

Chimei CMV-945A Screen
http://www.chimei.com.tw/en/product_...mp;model_no=17

That's strange... never heard of it before. I never turn my rig off, actually... I just turn off my monitor when I'm not using it.

That's strange... never heard of it before. I never turn my rig off, actually... I just turn off my monitor when I'm not using it.

save electricity, turn off your PC, save the planet :D

anyway, did your new monitor come with any software which can be installed?

97CO2bycountries3.gif

look at USA tut tut

no, it didn't come with any drivers.

It says in the manual that the monitor is supposed to communicate with the card via the plug and pray enhanced monitor bla bla bla thingy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom