Changing heatsink fan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
Last night I decided to go on a fan buying spree, didn't put TOO much thought into it. Just bought the highest flowing fans of the sizes I need, and obviously noise isn't a concern of mine. But what I didn't ever find an answer to last night is: Will I be able to swap out my 92mm fan on my heatsink with the one I chose? And will it still be able to plug into the "cpu fan" plug spot on the motherboard?

Newegg.com - VANTEC TD8038H 80mm Case Fan - Retail (x2)

Newegg.com - Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan - Retail

Newegg.com - VANTEC TD9238H 92mm Case Fan - Retail
(Heatsink Fan)

The CPU fan says 4-pin connector, the Vantec says 3-/ 4-pin connector, so it should hook up with no problem.

I figured as much, but I was reading some reviews and someone had said something about "because it uses almost an amp of power, you shouldn't plug it into the motherboard". Any truth to that?

Yeah so the 92mm did not hook up fine at all. It's much thicker and does not fit the clip on my heatsink. So it's pretty much useless to me now, i'll have to try to refund it.

On the other hand, I found places for the rest of the fans and HOLY **** DO THEY MOVE AIR!!

I hit the power button and it sounded like I just turned on a vacuum cleaner...literally!! Luckily my case has a fan controller built in so I ran the two 80mm Tornados through there and it's much quieter without those at full blast (though I surpassed the amperage rating of the controller a bit, oh well seems fine). The 120mm isn't that loud at all.

Bad news is, they did absolutely nothing for my cpu temps :( So I can't turn up the voltage, therefore I can't get to my 3.6ghz goal.

That it does. Oh well, I can hit 3.3ghz just fine and temps stay below 60*C on the cores on the blend tests and stable. Had to loosen up my cheap RAM timings from 55515 to 66616 where they were stock and it's stable at 3.3 and slightly higher temps. All I use my computer for is gaming anyway, and when i'm in games temps never get that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom