"Integrated" graphics on a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I was just browsing Dell because I have to simulate a small business so I have to buy some computers for the project. I was customizing a laptop to meet the requirements and I noticed the video card section.

I had 3 options. Intel Integrated, 128mb Nvidia, 256mb Nvidia. Uhh? I thought all laptop graphics cards were integrated. Is this to say that the 128/256 Nvidia graphics cards can be easily removed?

It's either a slightly different mobo with a different on-board card, but there are some cards that can be swaped but it's hard to do an your very limited as they are not a standard shape. There has been a few threads on this subject recently take a little look an you will see.

all the makers can easily swap the vga component...it's not so easy for the consumer and often voids the warrant even if we know how...cracking open the case and all ;)

Oh yeah I understand that the form factor of cards is extremely limited. I was just trying to associate it as with desktops...

With desktops, some motherboards have integrated video.
Also with desktops, some users like to use PCI/AGP/PCIE cards.

I'm just curious, when it says integrated video on laptops, is it integrated into the motherboard?

Also, when it says 128/256mb graphics cards in laptops, aren't those integrated as well? Or are they actually "unpluggable" from the system?

Like... I have a 128mb X1200 ATI card... is that hardwired/soldered/just plain f'n attached to the motherboard, or can I crack it open and unhook it if I so desired?

it's a luck shot what you have....often the brand makers don't want to tell you. But you can crack yours open to see how easy it is or isn't...there is no real standard yet and they can very from brand to brand and model to model.

your's could be easily removed, or may need to be unsoldered.

use these for reference
Repair4Laptop: Do-it-Yourself Notebook and Laptop Graphics Card Replacements or Repairings
Upgradable Laptop Graphics? - Aelon.net

and possibilities
InformIT: MXM: Finally, an open standard for laptop graphics > MXM: Finally, an open standard for laptop graphics
Laptops: ASUS XG Station Laptop Graphics Dock

I'm wondering the same thing, I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 with a core 2 duo and 2gb of ram. I can't play the CoD4 demo on it though cause of the "Intel Integrated Graphics". I'm wondering if there is any way to put a graphics card in this thing? Cause I've seen the same model laptops with some sort of nvidia graphics in them...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom