New Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
Before I head off to college, I want to replace my aging computers with a nicer one that can last for awhile. It may be used for some light gaming, but mostly as a media center, file server (definitely over a network, possibly FTP or HTTP if I need to at sometime), game server (most likely nothing more intensive than Jedi Knight Jedi Academy), and emergency backup word processor just in case. The most intensive graphics the (probably integrated) card will need to handle is Compiz Fusion, which I doubt would faze it.

After awhile on Newegg, I picked out a few basic components which I think will work. I already have two hard drives (40 and 120gb) and a DVD burner, and hopefully will use Linux , so that saves a bit. If you see any way to cut down the price, please mention it. I don't need to use both hard drives, but would rather like to.

Case: Cheap Rosewill
PSU: Antec Basiq 350W
CPU:AMD Athlon X2 4000+
Memory: A-Data 2gb (2x1gb) DDR2 800

The main problem I have is choosing a motherboard. For price purposes, I would like something with integrated S-Video for output on my television. (The only non-integrated graphics card I have now is an AGP GeForce4 MX440, and I'd prefer buying PCIe and upgrading later.) However, the least expensive two have some disadvantages to either.

Option 1: Biostar Tforce TF7050-M2
Nice and good price, but only supports two IDE devices. If I were to get an IDE controller to add other driver, would it make setting everything up more complicated?

Option 2:
DFI Infinity C51PV-M2
More expensive, but it supports four IDE devices. However, it only supports DDR2 667 memory. If I were to put DDR800 in, would it still run? Would I even notice a difference between the two?

Thanks for your help. If I'm missing anything, please inform me.

EDIT: Fixed links.

I'll consider it, but I generally dislike mail-in rebates. Would there be a big difference between the two?

Any thoughts on the other hardware components?

Any particular reason you need so many IDE connectors? SATA hard drives are as cheap if not cheaper than IDE drives, and the throughput is better to boot. Optical drives are FINALLY coming out as SATA as well.

If you are wanting a rig to last for a few more good years, go with new hard drives (at least) or you will suffer the consequences of drive failure in your future.

I was originally planning on reusing one two older 40gb drives I gathered and a three-year-old Seagate 120gb, but I agree buying a new SATA drive would probably be worth it in the long run. Would something like this 320gb Western Digital drive work well, or should I try finding something else?

A few slight changes to the original layout:
This case instead of the white one.
Floppy Drive (just in case)
And I will probably go with the BioStar motherboard (here) because it is cheaper and supports faster memory.

I'm up to about $330 after shipping, which is a bit more than I was hoping to spend, so any advice about reducing cost would be appreciated.

Just a quick side question...how good is the GeForce 7050 integrated chip on the motherboard? I know it's not enough to run new games, but how would it compare to, say, an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M or GeForce4 MX440?

Thanks for the link to the hard drive, that one does look nicer.

I was planning on ordering on Sunday or Monday (just to check and see if anything went on sale), and was probably going to order these parts:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4000+
Motherboard: Biostar Tforce TF7050-M2
RAM: A-Data 2x 1gb
Case: Black Rosewill cheap
PSU: Antec Basiq 350W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320gb
Floppy drive (just in case): Cheap Black Floppy Drive

I was going with this motherboard because it had integrated S-Video out and a (relatively) decent integrated chipset, so I could postpone buying video card until they release the next generation and the prior generations drop in price.

Thanks for all your help, and if you see any problems, please let me know.

The Corsair is nice... but it is $55 more. The Antec will power this build easily, and is a good brand to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom