9800 GX2 - ooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOh

Just looking at the specs, its almost like they just slapped 2 GTS 512's together. Looks like going from my GT to GTS setup might actually turn out to be a good decision since nvidia is dragging out the g92 cores as long as they can before giving us something thats actually new.

They ought to make it white... if it's going to be as big as a whale, make it the most memorable one, eh?

Slapping two (basically) current GPUs together is dumb, pure and simple. The heat and power consumption will be nuts... not to mention the noise generated trying to keep it cooled.

They ought to make it white... if it's going to be as big as a whale, make it the most memorable one, eh?

Slapping two (basically) current GPUs together is dumb, pure and simple. The heat and power consumption will be nuts... not to mention the noise generated trying to keep it cooled.

Will probably consume the same amount of power as a 2900xt.....200-250w

These are 65nm gpus

well the ultra is one **** of a powerful card, so having something 30% faster will make it a kickass card, but if its above the 750$ mark i wont even look at it. Hopefully it comes out in march, so i can step up :)

Sounds more like a g92 8800gts gx2.
I would expect a top of the line 9800 to be a new design and have at least 30% better performance on a single pcb.

Agreed, its just a G8E stopgap card.

This is good and bad, I guess:
Bad, because the 'real' 9 series is not coming yet, but good, because nvidia have a lot more in the tank to come with the G9P and G9E. btw, is 'enthusiast' above 'performance' ? (i.e. ultra = enthusiast, 8800GT = performance)

take off the hsf, spray paint it white, and write "MOBY DIC K" (book name don't banzor me) in huge letters on it.... rofl.

that sucks if its only 30% better performance wise then an ultra.. really brings to mind how much of an epic failure SLi is.

btw, is 'enthusiast' above 'performance' ? (i.e. ultra = enthusiast, 8800GT = performance)

not really when the Ultra still out performs the new GT and GTS, although it does cost more..but its over a year old technology now.

but think about it, its two new things, its a Dual-GPU design and its the introduction of a new series, those two things might cause a price jack-up

i really can't see it being $1000, they need it to sell at high prices but no one in the right mind would buy it that high. I would exspect around $650.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom