xp and vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
ok i been looking around and could not find the answer i was looking for so i thought i would ask

i am building a pc from scratch and i am kind of decided what to get, 1 part of me is saying go with new and the other says go with old

that aside i would like to know how much ram these 2 can handle and how much they recognise

i.e. can xp handle running 6gb ram but only see 3

would like to know 32 and 64 bit also

These answers are already all over the place. There are several topics on the whole RAM and Vista/XP issue.

XP will only be able to use 3GB. Havign 6GB wont do you any good with a 32 Bit system. 3GB would be wated.

64 Bit would be able to use the 6GB of RAM. But honestly it is overkill.

As for the whole XP/Vista thing just look over the first couple of pages here. You will see several topics already about this. We can not answer this for you. Only you can answer it. Do you prefer XP? Do you like XP's speed? Do you like the eye candy of Vista? Can you handle working wth VIsta and it various quirks?

yeah i got to decide if i would go with xp or vista but would vista use the same ram as xp or is it differant

and sorry for not looking that good i did look but i was on my ps3 at the time so it was quicker to post thet go though

If you go with 32 Bit it wont matter which OS you use. They are all limited by the 4GB limit. It is a limit with the 32 Bit kernel within Windows, OS X and Linux. So no matter what OS you use if it is 32 Bit it will only use 3GB to 3.5GB of RAM depending on the Video card you use.

Now if you use 64 Bit then it wont matter. XP and Vista both will use the amount of RAM you throw at them. But the limit is 8GB. As far as i remember. At that point i would say you would be better off with Vista. But that is just my opinion.

If you are going to be gaming some of the more popular games are requiring Vista now. Just figured I would throw that out there for you. Just something for you to think about.

If you are going to be gaming some of the more popular games are requiring Vista now. Just figured I would throw that out there for you. Just something for you to think about.

thank you makaveli213 i appreciate it a lot

and looks like i am going with vista now

Just be sure to buy the 64 bit version of whichever. Vista WILL give you headaches, but if its the only OS you have on your machine, you should be able to work through them. The only reason i havent made the switch permanently is that i still have a working version of XP on my machine that i keep falling back to when vista ****es me off :p

Just be sure to buy the 64 bit version of whichever. Vista WILL give you headaches, but if its the only OS you have on your machine, you should be able to work through them. The only reason i havent made the switch permanently is that i still have a working version of XP on my machine that i keep falling back to when vista ****es me off :p

yeah it's going to be a totally new build hence all the questions i been asking, i am going to be paying a lot out in parts and a tidy sum on software as well

plus is also good to know for future builds

NOOOOO
NO VISTA

IMHO Vista sucks

I found this online:

The Pros & Cons of Vista coming straight from a long-time user, beta tester, computer hardware/software technician, and working on my bachelors degree in Computer Sciences

Pros:

1.] Looks nice. (see Cons #7 below)

2.] More secure by default than Windows XP. (see Cons #15 below)

3.] ...other than that, none whatsoever.

Cons:

1.] Vista has poor driver compatibility because M$ has forced their driver signing on hardware/software manufacturers. Unsigned drivers that work fine in XP will not even install in Vista. It's not because they don't work or are incompatible, it is because M$ now controls what hardware and software you can install/use on Vista...hence the "Designed for Vista" marketing scheme. The hardware wasn't "Designed for Vista" at all, it's just that the manufacturer paid the extra cash to gain Microsoft's acceptance and M$ has denied driver signing for anything else. Nearly all hardware, software, and drivers that work in XP would work just fine in Vista if we could bypass the driver signing check...but since hardware/software manufacturers don't want to shell out the millions of $$$ it would take to gain "Designed For Vista" status for all of the older hardware out there, we all suffer for it.

2.] Vista has poor game compatibility and performance (see above and below). Because of Vista's buggy drivers, poor compatibility, and because the Vista operating system itself uses 3x more system resources than XP, 95% of all games and benchmarks show that XP outscores Vista in performance (both gaming & applications) by as much as 20% in some cases.

3.] Microsoft has forced the new DirectX 10 on hardware & software manufacturers causing even more instability and compatibility issues. If you want to play any game requiring DX10, you will have to switch to Vista and buy a new graphics card that supports DX10 (such as the GeForce 8-series cards which costs even more $$$).

4.] M$ has refused to release any sort of DX10 support for Windows XP. In other words, DX10 games will not run on Windows XP at all. In 3-5 years time, M$ will have a stranglehold on gamers, dictating what operating system they can & can not run as more and more games are released using DX10.

5.] M$ has announced that Windows Vista will be the last 32-bit operating system they will ever release. This means that EVERYONE will have to buy new computers if their current processors do not support 64-bit.

6.] For those wishing to run dual-boot Vista & XP, Vista's boot loader is full of bugs and 7 times out of 10 will corrupt the XP installation.

7.] Most want to switch because Vista looks nice. I can install a free program in XP that will cause XP to look identical to Vista and will have all of the same features without the problems & headaches.

8.] UAC causes a popup for nearly every action the user makes. If I CTRL+ALT+DEL I get a warning popup. If I run nearly any program I get a warning popup. If I make changes in the Control Panel I get a warning popup. That's worse than adware! Apparently, M$ thinks we're all idiots.

9.] M$ has locked software and hardware manufacturers out of the OS' kernel making it 30x harder to write software & drivers that will function as intended. Some antivirus & firewalls such as ZoneAlarm, the undisputed king of software firewalls, is still in early beta because they tie themselves into the OS' kernel for added system protection. Since M$ has locked the kernel, they are having to use workarounds that has greatly lowered their level of protection and has slowed their release dates...but at the same time, M$ released updated versions of their own firewall, antivirus, and anti-spyware programs, all of which are still vastly inferior to most 3rd party software. Coincidence? Doubt it.

10.] Vista uses almost exactly three times more system resources than Windows XP (needs 3x more RAM, uses 2x more processor cycles just for the OS, requires 2x more HDD space just for the OS, and at least a newer 64MB video card for some features). Most will need to upgrade or buy new computers to run Vista efficiently...especially if they plan on doing any gaming.

11.] Windows XP compatibility mode doesn't function correctly because M$ hasn't aliased the 'Documents and Settings' folder for reverse compatibility. M$ has announced that they currently have no plans to fix this issue...not even in Vista SP1 due out near the end of this year.

12.] Users are locked out of 80% of the files & folders on their machine even when logged in under an administrator account. The only way to access these files/folders is to take ownership of them by modifying the file/folder permissions. This can prove to be too advanced and/or time consuming for average users.

13.] After activating Vista 3 times (including the initial install), every installation thereafter requires a phone call to Microsoft to reactivate the OS. This is a major headache for professional PC technicians such as myself. If I upgrade a return customer's computer 3 times, I have to sit on the phone with M$ for 30 minutes each time afterwards if I make any hardware changes.

14.] All Vista installations are tied directly to hardware ID #s. This means that every time you upgrade your hardware you will have to reactivate Vista. After the 3rd activation you must call M$ every time to reactivate. So apparently, M$ thinks that we are all thieves too.

15.] By using Mozilla Firefox, Avast AntiVirus, and ZoneAlarm Firewall in XP I have 2x more security than Vista without all of the headaches...and all 3 are free! Using the above, I am 3 years spyware & virus free and counting on Windows XP.

16.] Currently, Microsoft has no plans whatsoever of fixing ANY of these problems in the future...neither in automatic updates or in Vista Service Pack 1 which is due out near the end of this year. Instead, SP1 will focus on adding more security. It's all of these so-called 'security' features that is choking us to death now!

...I could list about 12 more cons but I'm sure you get the point by now. Until M$ fixes these issues, I would stay with XP if you plan on doing anything more than surfing the web or checking your email.

Pain those articles are so opinionated. I have operated Vista since it was in Beta and i have yet to come across HALF of things they talk about. I can tell you for a fact that just by reading a couple of these they are DEAD wrong. #1....wrong on Vista 32 BIt you can installed unsigned drivers. I ahve done it several times for a bunch of my hardware. So that is out the Windows.

#16 is again Wrong. Vista SP1 is not jsut about security. They have made many adjustments to it that have boosted performance. Granted Vista still wont be as fast as XP but the performance part is added to SP1 of Vista to be released soon.

So jsut at a glance 2 of the thigns i read are both lies. I will continue to show you how much more they are wrong if you wish. But this jsut goes to show you that they are just about getting a article written without knowning all the facts. They just want people to read what they ahve to say.

M$ HAS fixed a lot of the issues. There are about 50 hotfixes that were not sent thru Windows Updates that address many more issues along with some of those being included in hotfixes that were sent thru.

Just reading #2 and that is wrong as well. I wont even continue this as that article is total crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom