Computer starts up, but Monitor is not getting a signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That motherboard does not have onboard graphics.

Try booting into safe mode and using system restore to go back to before whatever happened. It sounds to me like:
  1. your GFX card failed (but you wouldn't see the BIOS either)
  2. the drivers screwed you over
  3. the updates screwed you over
  4. combination of 2 & 3

I agree with #4. Try safe mode with networking and see if you can find an older driver for your video card. Or just try to roll back the driver in device manager. Then don't update to whatever driver microsoft says is newer.

ok, after searching most of the night at work. I found this interesting bit of info:

NVIDIA Forums > NO SIGNAL, BLANK SCREEN VISTA

Seems this guy was having the exact same problem as me. From the ensuing follow up posts it seems it might be a problem with Vista installing the proper drivers for my monitor (Newegg.com - CHIMEI CMV 221D Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 330 cd/m2 800:1 - Retail.

So, when I get home I'll try out some different things.

1) hook up a non - DVI monitor and see if I get a pic.
2) check my DVI cable to make sure it works right.

I'll post back here later if it solves my problem.

Ok, I feel silly now. After all that, it was pretty simple. After reading the posts in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/185719-33-6600-viewsonic-vx2025wm-monitor

All I had to do was unplug my monitor from the wall for about 30 secs. Then rebooted. It's working perfectly now. Seems like some kind of bug with the way the monitor sees the digital signal from my video card. I'm just glad it wasn't something real serious.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom