New 19" widescreen: LG L194WT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaanish

Fully Optimized
I need a new monitor, so what does this look like to you:

Buy 19" LG L194WT Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor L194WT from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2007

I like it becuase its pretty well priced, the bezel is well designed and the specs seem good: Contrast Ratio 2000:1, Response Time 5m/s, Brightness 300cd/m2. And its got DVI :)

My main concern is that the monitor MUST display dark colours well. On my 17" BenQ if im playing a game such as Doom 3/Stalker/FarCry in a dark area then it looks horrible like a washed out grey color and I cant even see whats going on. So do you think that the panel will be good for these sort of situations?

Thanks.

if you want dark colors well, then you gotta go for high contrast ratio, i wouldnt settle for under 1000:1 if you want great blacks

so that 2000:1 should do you just fine

i don't know what dynamic is.. but my acer is 3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and its got some amazing blacks and whites

only 700 static contrast ratio... which means YUCK

don't go under 1000:1

Dynamic contrast ratio
A notable recent development in the LCD technology is the so called "dynamic contrast" (DC). When there is a need to display a dark image, the display would underpower the backlight lamp (or decrease the aperture of the projector's lens using a iris), but will proportionately amplify the transmission through the LCD panel. This gives the benefit of realizing the potential static contrast ratio of the LCD panel in dark scenes, when the image is watched in a dark room. The drawback is that if a dark scene does contain small areas of superbright light, they may be sacrificed and blown out.

The trick for the display is to determine how much of the highlights may be unnoticeably blown out in a given image under the given ambient lighting conditions.

Brightness, as it is most often used in marketing literature, refers to the emitted luminous intensity on screen measured in candela per square metre (cd/m2). The higher the number, the brighter the screen.

It is also common to market only the dynamic contrast ratio capability of a display (when it is better than its static contrast ratio), which should not be directly compared to the static contrast ratio. A plasma display with a static 5000:1 contrast ratio will show superior contrast to an LCD display with 5000:1 dynamic and 1000:1 static contrast ratio when the input signal contains full range of brightnesses from 0 to 100% simultaneously. However they will be on par when input signal ranges only from 0 to 20% brightness

dynamic just don't seem as important...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom