Static electricity and shorting components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
hey guys! So i have heard that when you open a case up to say upgrade or build a computer, you can risk shorting out components with static electricity.

How exactly does this happen? Is it static on your clothes and such? Basically although i am not buying a new system until like autumn of this year, i am trying to piece together information.

So how do things get shorted out when your tinkering with them and what do you do to avoid it?

Any help would be great( eh i know you guys help, that's why your sooo great!):D

Static builds up on your body and gets transfered to the components. But you can ground yourself and get rid of static by touching the metal case.

You'd have to intentionally walk around on carpet with wool socks while petting a cat and then pick up a piece of equipment to damage it through static. I always work on my computer on the carpet (as i have no tile floors) and never use a strap. Just make sure to touch the case before picking up any of the components if it makes you feel better.

Usually most things get fried from being improperly assembled and/or improper voltage rather than static.

yeah when i installed my 7600GS i just opened the case, unscrewed stuff and put it in without doing anything like protecting for static.

But obviously i want to be careful not to break expensive stuff.

i bought a wristband cos i didnt want to fry my shiny new (then) GTS before i even got it into my pc....

then again it didnt make a difference...my PSU blew up within minutes of opening Quake IV (but i got a new one :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom