one hot computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI to those that don't know, the Pentium 4 will cool it's self down if it gets too hot. It's built in Thermal diode will trigger a clock speed reduction at a high enough temp. It's a safety catch that AMD has yet to get right...

lol, how is slower performance better? If your cpu is too damn hot.. you need to figure out why and fix it, if AMD did add that to their cpu's, there'd be a lot of unhappy people.

I also have a very hot computer. I'm running 50C right now and it only goes to 48 idle. The cpu goes up to 68 when on load and I usually shut down things before it gets any higher. It only takes a few minutes of 50% load to bring it that high, and I suspect that my heatsink is not working properly. Can anyone point out any other possible problems, or will I have to go in there and pull it out?

Pentium IV 3.2GHz (northwood core)
Abit IC7-G Max II motherboard
420Watt Silent PurePower PSU
Thermaltake Aluminum alloy case with 7 case fans
stock heatsink & fan
excessive amounts of artic silver 5 (maybe)

with 7 case fans your CPU should be much cooler...
My cpu runs at 35 degrees...
2 case fans, one intake one exhaust
Cheapy PCI exhaust fan
2 80mm fans on psu
Stock HS/Fan

here are my readings right now:
50C (CPU)
37C (???)
29C (case?)
34C (HDD)

Dunno what the second reading is, but its not really concerning is? if it goes up to 45-50C load?

The CPU on near-idle is alarmingly hot though, agreed?

[EDIT] I have 4 intake fans, one fan at the top and 2 exhaust out the back. I have 2 intakes going right to the motherboard where the CPU sits, yet its still like 20C higher than the case. It's gotta be the heatsink right?

29C is quite high for a case... made of steel right?

Anything above 50C on a CPU is the heatsink, good heatsink and fans sit around 30 - 40C idle and upto a maximum of 50C under full load.

My 2.2GHz XP3200+ sits at around 35C idle and 44C under full load... my room temp is about 200C lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom