Using old Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybe1

Baseband Member
I have an old ide hard drive im going to use for my new build just till i get my new sata ones. Do i have to wipe it clean before i use it ? And if so how do i do it ?

As long as you have a copy of your operating system installation cd, then your good. During the installation process it will probably give you the option to format (clean) your hard drive first before you install the OS.

Oh right so ill have to put it into another pc to do that is that right ?

no you won't have to, what operating system are you using? If its windows xp, or even vista, when you boot form the cd in bios and load up the windows installation it will give you an option to delete your current partition with your old windows and reformat your hard drive.

Im using windows xp pro. Ill have loads more question cause its my first build. Last parts due to br with me tomorrow so ill be starting it then. Building it shouln't be a problem i hope but when its built the fun will start. I presume i just load the motherboard software first and select boot from cd then load the operating software and graphics drivers or graphics drivers then os ??

Good luck on your build man, but once you have all the hardware setup these are the steps, and you must to install OS before anything else.

1.Press the power button to turn the computer on
2.Enter bios setup, usually done by pressing (del) or sometimes (F2)
3. In bios setup look for "Boot order" or something similar to it. Then select your first boot device to your cd or dvd rom.
4.Save and quit, Usually done by pressing (F10)
5.When it restarts your xp installation cd will boot and you go through the steps and install your OS
6. Once your pc restarts and you see your windows desktop you're in the home stretch.
7.Then in windows install your motherboard drivers and software
8. Install all other driver software, i.e. Videocard, soundcard, USB devices, Internet card or adapter

That's pretty much the general guideline.

Oh grand man thanks for that.

My build is :

Antec 900 case
Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
Q6600 G0 Stepping
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB 1066mhz
Corsair 620hx power supply
XFX 8800 GTS 640mb xxx 600mhz version have it a few months before the new GT and GTS came out so ill use it for now
Samsung dvd writer
80gb maxtor hard drive soon to be samsung spinpoint 500gb

What you think ?

did you already order it or not?

It's a great build, but the video card is the older version of the 8800gts the new G92's are better, but it will still perform great.

EDIT: oh whoops lol didn't read the rest of it. Nevermind then, that was the only critique I had though.

Ah yeah i know would love the new gt 512 but ill have to wait a while. Should have the psu and ram tomorrow so good to go after that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom