What's with my house's wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
None of the outlets in my basement's main room are grounded, and this is where I'm running my computer. I didn't really care that they weren't grounded (a broken computer would motivate me to upgrade ;)), but then I shocked myself by touching an RCA cable from the TV and my computer case at the same time, and I figured that was bad. My solution was to run an appliance extension cord (grounded, obviously) across the room into the bathroom where the outlets are grounded. Genius, eh? Anyway, for some reason the rest of the previously ungrounded outlets in the room are now magically grounded. Why's this happening? Some of my computer's equipment is using the grounded power from the bathroom and some is using the ungrounded power from the main room, so is my computer somehow grounding the outlets in the room? This doesn't sound like such a good thing either.

Already killed 'em all.

I just figured it out. It was my monitor, so I moved this to the grounded power strip. All my important/expensive stuff is now on the grounded strip, and my replaceable/cheap stuff is on the ungrounded, daisy-chained power strips.

Nothing in my house is grounded (circa 1960 wiring). Thankfully, I don't have the shock treatment like you did. I will be moving HOPEFULLY by the end of this month (renovations are taking forever and a day). I won't have that problem after that.

Got a spare one, Dave? I'll come pick it up. :D

Actually we have probably a half dozen or so here. When the battery dies, they usually buy a whole new unit since the battery costs almost as much as the enitre thing. Kind of stupid, but I don't run the show. I just tell them the price of a replacement battery and the price of a new UPS and they tell me what to order. Worst part is, I have to PAY somebody to "dispose" of all the old unused computer equipment we have. Stupid government regs...

Oh, and the gas to come get it would run you as much as buying a new one Trotter.

yeah, I know. Actually, it would cost more as we would drive the Expedition. I do need to buy a good UPS, though. One day, one day...

Heh, our house is screwy like that too. Its only ten years old, but for some reason, the wiring in my room is on the same breaker as both the bathrooms, which are a few rooms apart, and have rooms inbetween them:

............... bathroom
.................bedroom
..................my room
bathroom.. bedroom

is the layout. So whenever my computer is on, along with my tv and stereo, and someone wants to dry their hair, guess what? Breaker flips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom