Vista seems to be crapping out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most are saying to check the drivers for updates.

Formatting was also a no go as the problem appeared again.

Some users had this issue when the computer was supposed to sleep or standby

One user said this: Go to the Device Manager and find the "ACPI Lid" driver. Change the driver by selecting the "Volume Control" one from the list of drivers. This may sound stupid but what it does is trick the driver into stop working since Vista won't let you remove it outright. Once you do this, the lid, and everything else works perfectly. <-- Give that a try

Everything checked under the startup tab in the msconfig window means that all of those programs are starting upon system boot. Personally, I don't like anything to start when I boot up, and I actually make it a habit to check msconfig every once in a great while to make sure that newly installed programs aren't all booting at once upon boot.

I wish you better luck with Vista in the future. I wish I had more to offer on the subject.

Its a dell. It could be either the memory or the hard drive. Dell uses utter crap for both of those parts.
Dell does not use crap for parts. Is Micron a crappy product? I don't think so. I just ordered and installed 2 GB DDR2 memory sticks, and they were Micron. My machine runs perfectly.

I have a Dell Latitude D610 Laptop, XP Pro SP2, it also crashes with no pattern what so ever apart from that its usually very hot / been on a while. Make sure it's not overheating, I doubt that this however is the problem, it's more likley to be a Vista fault.

I have a Dell Latitude D610 Laptop, XP Pro SP2, it also crashes with no pattern what so ever apart from that its usually very hot / been on a while.
Your issue is not uncommon for laptops. Since they usually rest on a flat surface, this causes the overheating. I suggest investing in a fan cooled laptop tray, and use that when you can. Your laptop will run much cooler and you will experience less crashing.

Ah well, its 2 years old now, and don't use it much anyway ;)

Your issue is not uncommon for laptops. Since they usually rest on a flat surface, this causes the overheating. I suggest investing in a fan cooled laptop tray, and use that when you can. Your laptop will run much cooler and you will experience less crashing.

I have a fan on the bottom of my laptop as well as on the side. When I'm in bed on the laptop I actually graze my hand over the side vent every 5 minutes just to get a feel for how hot it's running. If it starts to run really hot, I'll just set the laptop on my one leg, allowing the vent on the bottom to not be covered up. Then if I see it's running cool again, which in a few minutes it normally is, I just reposition my stance however need be.

I think it's a good habit to get into. And it requires all but a milisecond to graze your hand over the fan, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom