Very excited about my first gaming rig build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then again i'm torn from spending the extra 120 bucks. when mine might be enough. I guess my question is if my power needs exceeds what my PSU can do what can happen? Can my parts fry from not having enough juice?

From what i've seen most Decent PSU's have 18A on the rails. What's different is how many rails it has. My current one has 2 while your corsair has 3 and the ocz i linked has 4.

If it hasnt got enough power, it could do a variety of different things. For example it could just blow up and leave your other components unharmed, it could take the other ones with it, it could just not boot up at all.

But if its got 2 18A rails then it should be ok.

As for your comments about the rails, the best design is just one large rail (my PSU has one rail with 49A on it)

If it hasnt got enough power, it could do a variety of different things. For example it could just blow up and leave your other components unharmed, it could take the other ones with it, it could just not boot up at all.

But if its got 2 18A rails then it should be ok.

As for your comments about the rails, the best design is just one large rail (my PSU has one rail with 49A on it)

I'm not doubting you or anything lol but could you explain why a single rail is better than multiple ones?

http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths said:
ARE MULTIPLE 12-VOLT RAILS BETTER THAN A SINGLE 12-VOLT RAIL?

With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you'd think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it's not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply's rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets “trapped" on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete.

PC Power and Cooling is once again leading the industry. All of our power supplies now feature a large, single 12-volt rail. The design is favored by major processor and graphics companies, complies with EPS12V specs (the 240VA limit is not a requirement) and is approved by all major safety agencies such as UL and TUV.3

This is from the pc power and cooling official site ^

This is from the pc power and cooling official site ^

**** that's one of the most helpful things i've ever been linked on any forum. Thanks much :)

You've got me convienced that the silencer 610 should fit my needs pretty well. Unless someone can argue that multiple smaller rails is better :p

So if i did go with Canada Computers - Motherboards > Socket LGA775/T : Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Socket 775 Intel P35 + ICH9R Dual-Channel DDR2 1066/800/667/533Mhz GigaLAN 8-Channel Audio Support 1333Mhz FSB.

What kind of hard drives can you recommend. Is IDE better or is SATA?

One thing i've been learning is that more questions have an answer, they just require a little digging.

The more expensive one has raid functions which i don't think i really need.

So here is my revised build so far:

MB: Gigabyte ga-p35-DS3R
Canada Computers - Motherboards > Socket LGA775/T : Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Socket 775 Intel P35 + ICH9 Dual-Channel DDR2 1066/800/667/533Mhz GigaLAN 8-Channel Audio Support 1333Mhz FSB.

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer x2 1GB
Canada Computers - Memory > Desktop Memory > DDR2 1066 PC2-8500+ : Crucial Ballistix Tracer (BL2KIT12864AL1065) DDR2 1066Mhz PC2 8500 2GB Kit (1GB x 2) 240-pin (with LEDs).

PSU:pC power and cooling 610W Silencer
Canada Computers - Power Supplies/Management > Desktop Power Supplies : PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W EPS12V ATX V2.2 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC 80MM Fan Power Supply.

CASE: Antec 900 Ultimate gaming case mid tower Steel design (64.99 after rebate for an antec case, Couldn't pass this up)
Canada Computers - Cases > Mid Towers : Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Ultimate Gamer Case.

CPU COOLER: Big typhoon thermaltake with 120MM fan
Thermaltake Big Typhoon 4 in 1 Heatpipe 120mm Fan CPU Cooler CL-P0114 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

CPU: q6600 quad core
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor HH80562PH0568M - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

GPU: 8800GT EVGA with free quake wars Super overclocked
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked Video Card - FREE Enemy Territory: Quake Wars PC Game, 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card 512-P3-N802-A1 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

HD: Running a bit pricy right now so i'll just salvage my 250GB sata from my old rig

All other parts are the same as the original.

I'd appreciate any comments on compatibility issues i might have.

I didn't see my ram on the qualified vendor list on my MB. Should i be worried about that?

Will the Big typhoon fit in my case?

Any other comments welcome :p

Total is 1131.12$ Canadian. Shipping paid for and taxed

My only comment is that even though i persuaded you to get that PSU, wire management with it in that case is hard. The compntnts get enough air, but if you want a perfect looking wire job then its not the right PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom