CPU Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

heXTT

Baseband Member
Alright, I just ordered a Q6600. I've been talking to my father about OC'ing technique and "theory" (I guess is the word to use)

He thinks it's pointless. Why shorten the life and stability of a cheaper processor to compete with the more expensive ones @ stock for a little while?

Of course I'm going to OC it anyway. ITS JUST WHAT YOU DO, right? :p

So the question is: is CPU temperature the reading of the surface of the processor? Isn't it creating more heat inside of the processor, and is that the temperature being reported?

Like a car, the temperature inside the radiator doesn't have much in common with the temp inside the engine. It's just a general idea.

Same concept? Point out my ignorance and correct me. :D

I OC'd my last CPU for the 2 years that I had it, no problems. By the time it runs out of life from overclocking it'll be way past time to upgrade anyway.

As for the temperatures, there's two different types: Tjunction and Tcase.

Tcase is the one you described, and for our chip you want that to stay below 71*C. This temp is measured at the center-topside of the chip, and can be read with "SpeedFan" listed as "CPU". You'll want to ignore the temps listed as "Core0-3" in this program as they're inaccurate.

Tjunction is the temperature limit of the cores themselves. This is listed as a 100*C limit, but generally to be safe you want to keep them below 85*C or so they say. These temps can be read accurately with "CoreTemp".

This is all knowledge I just obtained during some researching today.

Voltage you want below 1.5v according to manufacturer, shouldn't need to go near it to get good speeds. Especially if you have a good cooler...which according to your sig you do.

Yes its a similar concept. The temp listed on your gauge in the car is the temperature of the coolant but not the temp of the oil. But on the same concept, you go by the cpu temp or core temp to gauge how hot the actual engine is running. With a q6600 you can easily overclock to 3.6ghz and only shorten the life from say 100 years to like 50 years. These days its a matter of the motherboards being able to handle the extra voltages and temps and burning up rather than the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom