What does AntiAliasing and Anisotrophic Do for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the higher you set the anti alisasing the more smooth edges look but i dont really know much about either :)

the higher you set the anti alisasing the more smooth edges look but i dont really know much about either :)

thats pretty much it

Antialiasing—removes jagged lines
Anisotropic Filtering- Sharper Textures

personally all I notice is FPS drop haha

AA Makes jaggy edges smooth. It uses VRAM but you dont really ned it at higher resolutions, as when the resolution is higher, more pixels are used so it automatically takes the jagggies away. I cannot live without AA. There are different types of AA, such as super/multi sampling, temporal AA and stuff like that. Im not too sure , but i think that temporal AA actually adds pixels to make thin objects (such as a metal bar in a gate for example) look smoother.

AF just makes textures in the distance look less muddy. I dont really notice the difference between when it is on and off, so i just keep it off all the time.

4x AF is generally performance hit free. AA Takes much more of a FPS hit than AF in general.

Hope this helped ^^

i hear ya vaanish XD not having even slight aa on drives me nuts since for now im playing on a lower res. just found out i can use the nvidia control panel to force aa and af in games that don't support it (older ones). Makes ffxi look liek a whole new game. I was shocked/extatic.

Makes ffxi look liek a whole new game. I was shocked/extatic.

Yeah i could imagine. Have you played FEAR without AA? It looks absolutely awful. (well thats not so bad because the game is so **** anyway IMO) I also dislike it in games such as STALKER when you cant have HDR and AA at the same time because it looks crap with either one of them disabled. That is one of the extreme cases where i am forced to play without AA.

lol i tried fear without aa and just said 'omg no' and turned it back on. it runs great anyway so didnt matter. i just got extraction point and perseus mandate. forgot how creeped out this game gets me haha.

i really need to try stalker. hey you have a gt, in stalker turn on HDR and in the nvidia control panel try the hardware forced AA. I don't see why it wouldnt work. Especially since stalker does actually support AA.

I actually have a really rubbish PC at the moment but I'm getting a new board on Thursday (hence 'soon to be resurected') because my old one crapped out on me, I'm then getting rid of my X1950 pro and then ill have an 8800GT in about 2 weeks. I tried it with my X1950PRO system before it broke but it didn't work because the X-Ray engine (stalker engine) doesn't support HDR+AA at the same time so it's actually impossible even if you force it in the drivers.

But despite that, definitely try stalker out I was very apprehensive and I thought it was going to be crap after hearing all of the horror stories about it crashing and such but it actually runs really smooth on med/hi settings on my dual core (so on your quad core it should be amazing) and it never crashed once. The patches (there are 5) must have really made it more stable.

on BF2 i have all settings on high, i think the AA goes up to 8x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom