High speed or low latency ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rand 3dmark at both settings

850mhz w/ 4-4-4-12 = 15074

1065mhz w/ 5-5-5-15 = 15129

Very little difference. May try an in game benchmark like you suggested.

Sandra shows the 1065mhz to have much better bandwidth.

obviously.
the difference is negligible. unless you are just an overclock freak-monkey like some of us here.
here is what you do if you are a normal user and just want to oc a bit:
run your ram as fast as it will go with it's spec'd timings and as little voltage as possible. dont go too low with the volts or it wont be stable.
i run high everything and i also use voltage to my advantage, but if you dont know what you are doing you can damage your RAM.
as you can see from the numbers you posted, the added speed compensates for the higher latency. so, unless you can run super-fast at 4-4-4-12 (or lower), you arent going to see any kind of difference.
like gurusan says, high voltage some ram can run really well (some ram actually runs much worse with voltage over 2.2...my xms2 can take 2.4 and gets sick timings and speed). 3-3-3-6 at 800mhz is as fast as 1200mhz 5-5-5-15, thereabouts. trade off....volts or latency :eek:

strange. Mine says CPU/7, not 1:1.

thats because AMD's memory divider system is not the same as intel's.
you would have to set your ram to ddr2 400 and leave your cpu refrerence clock speed at 200mhz to run a 1:1 with an AMD chip.
AMD=asynchronous
and it is fine, they dont need to run 1:1...really the c2d's dont need to either, but it makes the math easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom