Hardware compatability list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
If you have any hard ware that works under Linux post it in this thread, it will help others decide on hardware choices for new builds or upgrading there current system.

Please use this format for posting details of working hardware.

NAME: Put the device name here.
DEVICE TYPE: Put the type of device here i,e, USB wireless adapter.
DISTRIBUTION: What is the distribution that works with your hardware.
OTHER: Any comments or steps you did to get the device working.

NAME: Belkin F5D7050UK
DEVICE TYPE: Wireless USB network adapter.
DISTRIBUTION: Ubuntu 7.4 (Feisty)
OTHER: I just plugged it in an works fully, I get between 90 - 100% network strength. I am using it to fill in for my internal card for my laptop till I can get it working.

Name: Buffalo AirStation Turbo G (WLI-CB-G54S)
Device Type: PCMCIA Wireless LAN adapter
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) (i386 version)
Other: This device uses the Broadcom BCM43xx AirForce One chipset, Ubuntu's Restricted Drivers Manager automatically installs it and downloads a firmware.

Name: Diamond ATi Radeon X1600Pro 512MB AGP
Device Type: Graphics Card (ATi Radeon X1600Pro chipset, AGP8X bus)
Distribution: Ubuntu 6.10, 7.04, and 7.10 (I used this device in all of these)
Other: This requires the "fglrx" driver, which isn't very good. This card will not perform as well in Linux as in Windows, because the Linux driver does not support all of the card's features.

Name: ASUS nVidia GeForce4 MX420 64MB AGP4X
Device Type: Graphics Card (based on nVidia GeForce MX420 chipset)
Distribution: Ubuntu 6.06, Ubuntu 7.10 (did NOT use on 6.10 or 7.04)
Other: This card uses the nvidia-glx drivers (which automatically install with the Restricted Drivers Manager) and the card is fully supported (playing a game in Wine can sometimes have better FPS than in Windows).

Device: IBM Thinkpad Hotkeys (Volume Up/Down, Mute, ThinkPad, Brightness)
Device Type: Extra Laptop buttons
Distributions: Ubuntu 7.04 and Ubuntu 7.10
Other: Worked perfectly in 7.04 with the thinkpad-base package installed. Does NOT work in Ubuntu 7.10 due to a bug in the new hotkey-setup package.

Device: IBM ThinkPad ThinkLight
Device Type: Keyboard Light (LED in top of laptop monitor)
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10
Other: Works in both distributions. Can be controlled in hardware with key combination, but in software, it can blink for Pidgin/Gaim notifications or as an XMMS visualization.

NAME: Logitech LX710.
DEVICE TYPE: Wireless keyboard an Mouse.
DISTRIBUTION: Ubuntu 7.4 (Feisty)
OTHER: The main keys work fine but the extras don't work at all such as the volume key, rotate image an the Zoom keys don't work. That is only a small issue as it works fine an I have not had a problem with working with it for the last 4 hours. Will keep the forum updated if i get the keys working.

Name: Compaq SK-2800
Device Type: PS/2 Keyboard with Multimedia/Internet keys (Compaq Presario ~1998-1999 models)
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy)
Other: All the main keys work, the Volume Up/Down and Mute keys work, the Media keys work, but not all of the Internet keys work (some do).

Name: Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000
Device Type: Wireless Mouse
Distribution: Ubuntu 6.10 (LiveCD), 7.04, and 7.10
Other: The mouse works, the scroll wheel and middle click work, but the left/right wheel tilt and extra side button are not supported (at least not by default, I haven't tried making them work with special drivers).

Name: ATi Rage Mobility 128 M3 (16MB, AGP2X)
Device Type: Laptop Graphics Chipset
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10
Other: The M3's 3d acceleration does not work unless you set it to 16 bit color depth. At the default 24, 3d acceleration fails. The Philips PhilDec video capture chip included in the Rage Mobility set DOES NOT WORK in Linux yet.

Name: IOGear GBU221p
Device Type: USB 2.0 Bluetooth Adapter
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10
Other: Used to connect to Wii Remotes. It uses the Broadcom 2045 (?) chipset and works without any special configuration.

Name: ATi TV Wonder VE
Device Type: PCI TV Tuner/Composite Input Capture Card
Distribution: Ubuntu 6.06 through 7.10
Other: This device seems to work in Ubuntu by default with video4linux, though I haven't used it much.

NAME: eSystem 3103
DEVICE TYPE: Laptop.
DISTRIBUTION: Ubuntu 7.10
OTHER: Works flawlessly, upgraded from 7.4 that seemed to have a issue with my laptops wireless (not allowing to connect to network but showing it was available) 7.10 works right from the beginning.

Device: Linksys BCM-based PCI Wireless Card (Don't know the model, it was at my friend's house)
Device type: PCI Wireless (WiFi) Networking Card
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10
Other: LiveCD wouldn't boot with the card in (kept saying it couldn't find firmware), had to take the card out to boot the LiveCD and install. After it was on the hard drive, we put the PCI card back in and booted Ubuntu, and now the Restricted Drivers Manager took care of finding drivers and firmware for it. Worked fine after that.

Can you find the model of that card for me, new desktop needs a wireless card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom