VirtualPC, DOS, Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerB

Baseband Member
All old gamers know, it can be a real pain the butt trying to get audio working in a DOS game. I remember being like 2 bytes short of conventional memory after spending two hours trying to find a way to stuff enough of my drivers into UMB, trying to get some game or another to run with sound.

That's the fun part of DOS though. :) I've forgotten more DOS tricks than I'll ever be able to learn again. I've just taken up Microsoft VirtualPC and setup a virtual 486 with 32MB of RAM. Now, I can't seem to get the sound working.

Anyone happen to have the specs on the Virtual PC's system? Like, resource allocations and physical settings for all the devices, things like that. Microsoft's VirtualPC (or at least the trial version) is sorely lacking in effective documentation. I suppose I could install win95 on this one and use AIDA32 and Device Manager to get the answers, but that seems a lot of unnecessary clicks and keystrokes for information that should be more readily available.

So, anyone happen to know the IRQ DMA and I/O Ports that MSVPC assigns to its SoundBlaster? I wanna get these old games going....

Cheers
DiggerB

Try change to VMware. Is better compare to Virtual PC.

Well, that would leave me in the same position wouldn't it?

Unless VMWare has fully documented all its specific settings for all its virtual devices, that is.

If anyone has managed to set up a good working MS-DOS with sound and over 600KB Conventional RAM remaining under VirtualPC OR VMWare, let me know how you did it.

Cheers

DiggerB

Alas, those are precisely the settings I was using. :( I guess the SoundBlaster emulation in VirtualPC for DOS just doesn't quite pull it off. The drivers just won't recognize the card. I've tried SB16, SBPro, and SBPro2 drivers, with no success.

I will try VMWare, but I have a funny feeling that's not going to go over much better. Any stories? Any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom