2nd hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKF

In Runtime
We installed a 2nd HD in my friends computer and cloned everything off the old HD to the new,
Hes wanting to format the old HD and do a clean reinstall of xp home on it and use it as his main drive again.
The question is would there be any kind of conflict between 2 HDs with the same copy of the OS on them on the same computer if theres only 1 HD connected at a time?
And is it possable to do it this way? without creating any problems,

Thanks for any help

I doubt this would work but you can try. You would want a dual boot OS. Did you make the second harddrive C: also?

If you want to completely get rid of the one OS...then download Killdisk/burn it. Put it in the try, shutdown, unplug the HDD that you want to keep, and then start up. Wipe the drive (will probly take about an hour, depending on the size of the drive that is). Then you can shut down, plug you rmain drive back in, and then format the newly-erased drive as NTFS, or do whatever you want with it.

I've done this several times...its a lengthy process but works.

Edit: May have misread the question... If you wanna do that, you can just set the drive that you want as your main drive as the primary boot drive in the BIOS, and then it should be fine. I have XP on one drive, and Vista/Ubuntu dual-boot on another drive. I use XP mainly, so I have that as my primary boot drive, and if I wanna boot into either of the others, I just go to my boot menu, and select to boot off of that drive.

it will work. I've done it a million times.

I usually give dj's 3-4 different xp partition plus a my documents partition.

I install xp on a 20-30 gig partition. I then install drivers and updates. I also activate it.

I then clone it to the partitions. you see, a lot of studio software (reasons, fruity loop, protools, acid, guitar etc.) conflicts with each other. dj's usually want all of them and they constantly get BSOD.

I do this to resolve this issue. I install certain software on certain partitions. sometime I edit the boot.ini to rename each one

like this. at boot, you will have names like this

regular xp
DJ Name's Sound editor
Protools partition
Xtra partition

other times, I hid the other OS partition and use Partition magic PQ boot for windows to boot to whichever one they need to get to.

you keep all of them as c drive this way was and it make installing programs easier

PS

I got an unexpected side effect from doing it.
each version of xp is blazing fast in this manner and they stay fast

Thanks for all the replies and info.
He is just wanting to do a clean install on his old HD
and have the HD with the cloned copy to fall back on until he gets the clean install the way he wants it.
Hope he doesn't screw it up beyond repair :eek:

Will follow up with the outcome when he gets done.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom