CaseMod Sneak Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the Diagram for how I was going to wire it. I am going to attach it to a 5v source (Not sure how I'd do that for a Molex source...)
wirediagramyn0.jpg

I don't think I need any resistors because the LEDs I found are 5v, same as the source voltage.

Can someone who knows a little more about circuits and wiring double check what I have here?

hey, just a side question, but where did you pick up the clear side panels, cause I messed mine up and am looking to replace it. lol.

Soldering isn't nearly as hard as I thought it'd be. My array works perfectly and I didn't need any resistors! :)
img0364rc3.jpg

Next step is cutting little slots in the metal overhang so that I can angle the LEDs to shine through the acrylic to really highlight the etching.

Here is the Diagram for how I was going to wire it. I am going to attach it to a 5v source (Not sure how I'd do that for a Molex source...)
wirediagramyn0.jpg

I don't think I need any resistors because the LEDs I found are 5v, same as the source voltage.

Can someone who knows a little more about circuits and wiring double check what I have here?

LEDs need current limiting resistors, otherwise they can blow after a while. To calculate the resistor value, you need the voltage drop across the LED.

Most LED's have a current rating (can be found on the manufacturers data sheet), which will determines the size of the resistor you will need. The current rating tells you what the maximum allowable current for the individual LED is. The more current you feed through your LED, the brighter it will become.

Most LED's seem to handle at least 15mA, or .015A. If you are using a +5V circuit, then Ohms law (V = IR) tells you what resistor value to use. Rearranging to solve for the resistor, R = V / I, so R = 5v / .015A = 333 ohms. This is a standard resistor value, as you can purchase it in an electronics store.

EDIT - wow never knew this thread was so old. I just jumped into it from the Case Gallery forum.

wirediagramyn0.jpg

All a diode does, is let current pass in one direction.
On top of that, you have a lot of them in paralell, which basically reduces the very small amount of resistance they have, to a much lower value.

Basically, yes, you really should have a resistor in the circuit Just one at the very start, or very end of the circuit will do.

All a diode does, is let current pass in one direction.
On top of that, you have a lot of them in paralell, which basically reduces the very small amount of resistance they have, to a much lower value.

Basically, yes, you really should have a resistor in the circuit Just one at the very start, or very end of the circuit will do.

In this case, would it make a different to integrate it into the line or to bridge it across both lines like those LEDs?

The array has been working fine without a resistor. It wouldn't be too hard to put one in but the LEDs are rated for 5v to 6v so I didn't think they would have a problem being overloaded by a 5v source.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to spread the beams of the LEDs a little more, as it is now they only light up a narrow beam of the etching.

To answer peter, if I was to use a resistor I would integrate it into the line. If I were to bridge it as part of the LED, I would need one resistor for each LED instead of one total and the effects would be the same.

Grievearz, you need one or else one or many of them can burn out after a while, especially if the current is unregulated.

Trust me, I'm a design engineer for a major defense contractor, doing radar and sonar development - I've had experience in circuit design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom