Need Suggestions For Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think its really fair for us to tell you to cancel the order. but what we can do is tell you the pro's and con's of SLI and Crossfire and you can make your own decision.

Crossfire scales better then SLI and 2 Crossfire cards are cheaper then 2 SLI cards.

but the other hand of that is that the Crossfire boards (580x chipsets) aren't as good for overclocking, and their aren't as many options for boards.

If you want a quad you can do AMD + ATI and go phenom and run crossfire, or you can go phenom and SLI if you want that route. or you can go intel quad which is more proven and faster clock for clock then the phenom. and you can pair up sli or crossfire with that.

there are lots of people who have quad and sli, so get their opinions on the matter.

I would definately go with 1 8800GTS 512 and a P35 chipset over 8800GT SLi and a 680i mobo.

If you can still cancel the order without losing any money, do this. SLI is nice in theory, but the boards are just way too wonkey to deal with. I never had any issues with SLI persay, its just that the 680i boards have a tendancy to die very easily, and rma'ing a board every 2 months is a pain in the ***.

I currenty have my rig hooked up to a sony grand wega 42" hdtv. I want to be able to run crysis @ 1440x900 with 30-40 fps average on high settings on this display. Right now i have an athlon x2 6000+ @3.3 and a radeon x1950xt that is starting to show its age (and its not that old). thx for the suggestions ste

i don't think its really fair for us to tell you to cancel the order. but what we can do is tell you the pro's and con's of SLI and Crossfire and you can make your own decision.

Crossfire scales better then SLI and 2 Crossfire cards are cheaper then 2 SLI cards.

but the other hand of that is that the Crossfire boards (580x chipsets) aren't as good for overclocking, and their aren't as many options for boards.

If you want a quad you can do AMD + ATI and go phenom and run crossfire, or you can go phenom and SLI if you want that route. or you can go intel quad which is more proven and faster clock for clock then the phenom. and you can pair up sli or crossfire with that.

there are lots of people who have quad and sli, so get their opinions on the matter.

crossfire boards arent good overclockers? the p35 boards and x38 boards are some of the best overclockers on the market, and x38 boards now have dual PCI-e 2.0 16x slots.

If you plan on keeping that 42" lcd tv as your monitor then theres no real point in going the SLI route. One 8800GTS 512mb will serve you just right, and if you get a EVGA card, you can always step up to a better card in the future.

X-CRUISER-BK.jpg

This is the case i was considering, its an Aspire X-CRUISER for $107.99. comments?

crossfire boards arent good overclockers? the p35 boards and x38 boards are some of the best overclockers on the market, and x38 boards now have dual PCI-e 2.0 16x slots.

If you plan on keeping that 42" lcd tv as your monitor then theres no real point in going the SLI route. One 8800GTS 512mb will serve you just right, and if you get a EVGA card, you can always step up to a better card in the future.

Actually I was going to use a 22" widescreen lcd for gaming and the 42" for movies and video media.

they aren't nearly as good as the intel ones, party because for the most part crossfire boards are for amd, and ergo, don't yield the best results. There are some boards that are really good for overclocking, as is true with every chipset, but intel has more of them.

-prophet, do you still play halo? or did you quit a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom