DVD Playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjlambert

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Just got my ASUS F3SV-A1 and liking it a lot. But have a problem with DVD playback. Now, I'm kinda a computer noob - I try but some things I haven't grasped. I've watched a movie or 2 and it's been ok, but I put in a new rental movie (widescreen) and it wouldn't play. I updated my video drivers yesterday so should be ok. Not sure why it won't play.

Secondary problem - If the notebook is shut down and I hit them power button, it usually boots and shows a brief windows screen that says shutting down and shuts off. If I hit the power button again it boots fine. Any reason why it won't just do it the first time?

Thanks.

ASUS F3SV-A1
Intel Dual Core T7300 2.0 G
15.4" WXGA+ 1440x900
Nvidia 8600M GS 256
2 G RAM
Vista

explain the not playing part more...
is it not recognizing? Does it see the new disc but just doesn't play?
what do you use to play it?

just for kicks, try this...get vista codeck pack
also look for the mpc addon...I'll give you the links to it all to make it easy but up to you if you want to dl and use

Vista Codec Package Homepage
FileForum | Vista Codec Package
http://shark.subland.org/Tools/MPC_addon.exe

maybe doing the above might fix any issues and you won't have to describe your problem more...btw you can opt to play dvds with windows media player, media center, or mpc...I do half and half between wmp and mpc.

The reboot problem sounds like a Vista update glitch. This happened on my notebook and my brothers notebook. It only did it with one Vista update, so hopefully yours isn't doing this every time.

It's possible that the reason your rental disk wouldn't play is because it's a bad disk. Try some other disks and see how they work.

If you keep getting problems, contact Asus. All their new standard notebooks come with a 2 year warranty and 1 year of accidental damage protection.

Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Happy New Year.

Still not working after trying the codec sites. When I put in a movie and run with Media Player I get,

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

With Media Centre it doesn't give a message but changes resolution and just shows a blank screen.

I updated my video driver from tweakforce.com so I'm hoping that's not it. I tried dl'ing a driver for my 8600M GS from the asus site but it won't install when I run setup.

Sorry if this problem is lame, but I'm just too new at laptop/driver issues. If anyone has a suggestion or needs more info please let me know. Thanks.

so...I will assume you have the software discs still for your laptop.

Uninstall all the software again, not everything, but the things related to dvd playback. My old asus had some dvd playback software, but I don't use it. Make sure to uninstall it.

reboot

Then install and see if the software packages I mentioned work.

your system is up to date too from windows update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom