HP A706n RAM Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Born

Beta member
Hi all,

I have an HP A706n and need a little help/advice on upgrading the ram. The HP website says that it only supports 1GB. However, crucial.com says that I can upgrade to 2GB. Furthermore, a member at another site (posting on a different topic altogether) mentions in her post that her A706n has 2GB of ram.

I currently have 768MB of ram in my machine now. I'm a little confused, though. Is it possible to upgrade to 2GB or will that cause problems?

Thanks!

SB

After looking up the mob specs on the HP website, the ASUS name is
A7V8X-LA (Kelut)

and it does say it can support 2GB of ram PC2700, BUT the manufacturer, says 1GB... HP might have locked the bios to only support 1GB... Why I have no clue, but the only thing I can say at this point, is try 2GB and see what happens. if it locks up when you do it, then you know it's only 1GB...
maybe you can get a 1GB stick of PC2700 and install it with the 512MB you have, if it doesn't lock up or do anything crazy after that, then you know it will handle 2GB, if it does, then you can return the stick or keep the 1GB stick and sell of the others...

Nukem,

Thank you! I'm going to do what you suggested (purchase a 1GB stick) and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll simply return it.

SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom