9800SE or 9800PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

sithspawn

In Runtime
Im thinking about upgrading my video card and cant decide between these two. I know your thinking "easy choice, the 9800PRO", but its a little more complicated than that. I cant REALLY afford the 9800PRO ($120 more than SE here in Australia), and the 9800SE (ive read) can be soft-modded into a 9800PRO. However there only some SE cards are able to do this and its basically a gamble whether you will get one of the ones that can or not.

Basically im just wondering if anone has any advice to offer on this, or if anyone knows the likelihood of getting a 9800SE card that cant be softmodded to a 9800PRO.

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/ati-radeon9800se/
explains how to soft-mod it.

By the way im upgrading from a Ti 4200, and therefore its not a HUGE upgrade to go up to the 9600SE (still an alright upgrade though). obviously i would much prefer to go for the 9800PRO and would be willing to save a little longer to get it (would prolly end up being a few months and impatience is starting to take over.....!!!!)

If u want to choose between 9800SE or 9800PRO, better get 9800XT cosz it is the best among 9800.

well obviously its the best but that doesnt mean i can afford it. the mean reason im thinking about the 9800SE is because it is the cheapest and theres a chance i can soft-mod it to a 9800PRO

i would save up for a pro . . .

i mean, thats just me . . .

cause you dont wanna take a gamble with an SE

yea.,.. and thats what i said too, so id just save up for the 9800Pro.. thats ur best way to go

hey, im still saving for my amd 64 machine . . .

parents will kick in some money . . .

hopefully cpu, gfx card and monitor :D

thats almost $1700 right there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom