RAM troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

halosmainframe

Beta member
Hey I have an standard emachine with a AMD 3200 processor with 512MB of RAM running windows XP. Theres are 4 slots for RAM with 2 256MB taking up the first 2 slots.

First I installed 1GB of RAM by taking out the 256 in the first slot, placing it in the third slot and placed the 1GB in the first slot. This gave me the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.

I retried by plugging the 256 back into the first slot and the 1GB into the third slot. This allows windows to boot, but most of the time when it is booting it gos to a black screen with a blinking underscore. And I usually have to restart it a couple of times for it to boot windows.

WTF IS UP?

Im not sure if im understanding you right but you had 512 first (2x256)
and now you have 1gb(1x1gb) and 2x256, This could mess around wit things abit, i would try what B1GAPL said try only the 1gb chip, not 1 1gb and 2 256

Try just the 1gb stick. Also, i would look up the motherboard you have and make sure it will even reckognize 1gb sticks.

There should be a serial number somewhere on the motherboard. Look up that number and try to find the specs. Also, seeing that it is an athlon 3200, is that pc3200 or what (as in DDR1)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom