Computer shuts down when to cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmc919

Solid State Member
This started happening about 2weeks ago, The computer would loadup XP to the desktop and would be fine if i didnt do anything. But if i start a game or even start IE it would freeze for a second and then shut down, then i would have a problem trying to get it to load to the desktop, it would shut down while loading the OS or even while doing the quick memtest in the bios. The XP install was about 3years old so i decided to reformat. I still have the same problem. I've check all the temps and they are ok. cpu and gpu around 50C. Also if I let it sit for about 15min and then try running any program i won't have a problem, I've started to just leave to comp on for days, infear that it wont boot up again.

It sounds to me as if the PSU or CPU is starting to go... What are your system specs? Might even be your mobo starting to act up, depending on how old it is...

The fact that you have lag when you start programs means ur pc is having trouble loading the program. That's usually because there's heat problems, or insufficient ram/too-many-programs-already-running.
If it's fine after 15mins or so, that REALLY tends to suggest that its a memory problem. Go into the task manager and check the 'processes' and 'performance' tabs. If u see any programs running in the 'processes' tab that you don't need, try to shut them down. In the 'performance' tab, check how much free ram u have, both straight after the desktop has loaded, and after 15mins.

AMD Athlon xp 2600+ 333fsb 2088 mhz L1 cache 128 L2 cache 256
2 dual channel ddr pc 3200 400mhz 1024mb 2048mb total, running at 333mhz with lower latencys
Sound Blaster live value
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS 256mb GDDR3 Core 460 Memory 1350, factory overclocked
160 gig 7200 8mb
asus mother board with nforce2 chipset

I just reformated with all the updates, it's only running the basic processes needed, i can see the harddrive loading up and it only takes a few seconds to finish loading windows when the desktop appears. I posted this in another section and they said it might be the PSU, but i'm welcome to any other suggestions untill I get another PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom