*How much* Stress Testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I got back home today to work on the testing some more. I just bought the Orange Box, and I forgot to hook the power to my DVD-RW drive. So I put a 4-pin in there, and hit the power button. Everything lights up, but I got no picture. This really ticked me off. But thankfully I had all of my settings memorized, so I reset the CMOS and now I'm at 3.6 again.

Does anyone have any idea why this happened? I could understand if my system was terribly unstable, but for god's sake it went an hour and a half yesterday in stress testing no problem, before I had to turn it off and leave. Why wouldn't it be able to boot after 24 hours of sitting there??? Maybe it had something to do with me finally getting power to my DVD-RW, like it was trying to boot off of it...

maybe it overheated and bsod and shutoff.
I would really suggest you try stress testing a lower oc before jumping to 3.6...its just my advise.

Try like 3.2-3.4( its no harm really)

No no there was no BSOD. I was running prime95 yesterday @ 3.6ghz. I let it run for an hour and a half BUT I had to turn off my pc because I had to leave for the day. It was off until this afternoon, about 24 hours. I came home today to turn it on for the first time, and it didn't post. I don't understand why my system won't even post even though it ram prime 95 beautifully for quite some time yesterday.

Later on after I got it running again, I had to unplug everything today in my bedroom (including my rig) so I could completely rearrange my sloppy wiring job. Once everything became neat, I plugged back in my rig (with 3.6ghz settings keep in mind) and once again it wouldn't post! 0.o So now I reset the CMOS again and I'm back at 3.6. I'll list everything I can think of that I changed:

Vcore: 1.425v
Mem Voltage: 2.2v (running 800mhz still)
Mem timings: 5-5-5-15 (everything else auto)
FSB Voltage: +.3v
GMCH Voltage: +.3v

Do you think I'm giving too much to the fsb or GMCH? Because I honestly don't know what is "too much" but I saw another guy who used those to get his e6600 to 3.6ghz.

well going on what someone else used for settings is dependent on their system and their system alone. Different boards have different blocks and can go higher/lower on clocks. so unless the other guy that you are referring to had the exact same setup as you, then you can't say that just because he had his settings like that, that they will work for you. Not to say that you can't use his settings as a starting point, and work your way up to 3.6, just don't blindly follow his numbers.

also take krazyq's advice, get it running 99.9% stable on a lower clock, and use that for your starting point, and increase from there as needed. By doing that you can have your stock settings which you know will work 100% of the time, then a higher setting for more intense stuff, and a suicide setting for benchies :D

All of this is true. My system *seems* stable (knock on wood) so far. I've shut down and restarted multiple times and it's booted just fine. That's been my only issue in the past day. I just gamed for a few hours (The orange box has me hooked), and it was rock solid there. I'll see if it boots tomorrow.

Again, the only problem I've had is my system not posting two times today. This is clearly not a blatant stability issue. But both of the times it didn't post, it was after the system was unplugged. Who knows...maybe something in my PSU or CMOS gets screwed to where it can't post if after it gets the power cut from it. It's running like a champ now.

Ok I'm down to 3.5ghz now and i've been running prime95 since I woke up today. I must be getting really close to the vcore sweetspot because I only lowered the fsb by 11 and it runs 1.425 with no problems.

Here's one more question: what the heck is wrong with my RAM? I see all kinds of people's sigs on here with ddr2 800 that run at 967mhz or whatever. I can't get my RAM anything higher than what it's rated for. The lowest it will go is 800mhz @ 3.6ghz and the next lowest is 1000mhz. I've juiced it to 2.4v and it still won't post at 1000mhz. When it's all set and done, I'll just be happy at 3.6 cpu and 800 ram. Just XMS2 suck that bad for OCing?

Wait. in your BIOS does it show the ddr2 ram speed or the ddr speed. Go into CPU-Z and look at the ram speed under the memory tab. What does it give you.

if your ram is at ddr2 800mhz, and you go from 2.4 to 3.6ghz your ram is linked to your FSB so it will be running a lot faster. You will have to take the timings into the equation too. Dowload memtest and use that to make sure you don't get any RAM errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom