Another Q6600 overclock help thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
I'm pretty new to overclocking, but not completely. I played around for a few hours and got it stable at 3.0ghz. I'll just provide a CPUz screenshot rather than try to figure out what I have everything set at. Just from tinkering with it I feel like the memory is limiting me. If I set the memory voltage any higher than 1.9v I get a BSOD either on inital boot up or as soon as I start a program in XP (32-bit) it seems.

I don't fully undestand everything, but I have the FSB "unlinked" from the memory speed in my BIOS. Anything over 800mhz for the memory and I have to reset the CMOS because it doesn't turn on. And anything over 3.0ghz and it freezes or doesn't pass SuperPi or Prime95 for more than a few seconds. Where I have it at now seems completely stable. Temps on the cores haven't gone above 61*C under Prime95 for 10 minutes.

Sound like memory limiting to anyone? I have the timings at 5-5-5-15 1T

As for the "VID" listed in CoreTemp, can I change that?? Nothing I do in BIOS seems to make it change for me. I noticed other people's were lower than mine.

Also SpeedFan doesn't register the correct temperatures, they're all 10*C low for me, anyway to fix that?

I'm hoping to see the 3.6ghz mark.

CPUINFO.jpg

Do not set the memory voltage more than what the manufacturer states. 1.9v is default for that RAM, so you should leave it at that. Anymore, might damage it. Especially if it's not high performance RAM.

You should try running the RAM and FSB together, for a 1:1 ratio. Rather than ramping up the RAM speed past the FSB.

And if you want to get past 3GHz, you should increase the CPU voltage by one notch at a time, until it becomes stable in Prime or Orthos.

Very nice wallpaper by the way....Your's?

ok, i see you are running a 680i..so imma help you out some since i have the same board and the same cpu

first go into the BIOS and put these settings:

MCP: 1.55v
SPP: 1.60v
MCP & SPP (HT): 1.55v

setting the correct voltages to the North and South bridge will allow you to use a lower CPU voltage on your processor.

now, you don't really have the best of CPU coolers. so i wouldnt expect to get a huge OC.

try setting the CPU to a little over 3200MHz and use CPU: 1.2875v (i think that is the one, or get the closest one on the list) and try that with the voltages i gave you above. those are the settings i used on my 12hr+ Prime stable OC with my computer.

for the memory. i'd try 5-5-5-15-2T and the rest on Auto. then try 1000Mhz for the speed of the memory.

if you need to. i can probably get some pics of the settings i use on my 680i.

edit* you can look at my OC post here: http://www.techist.com/forums/1265023-post5.html

Twisted that VID you mentioned in Core Temp never changes. That just shows you the default voltage for your q6600. Other people may have different numbers because they have different CPUs, ex. my e6600 says 1.275.

PS your car looks good :)

You should be able to get 3.4 to 3.6 pretty easy if you invest in a better cooler and pump some volts into your processor. Q6600s can take huge overclocks on air. I run mine at 3.6 every day with no problems and relatively low temps. Try running 400x9 with your memory set to a 2x (DD2 800) for a FSB:DRAM 1:1 ratio.

Car Thread Hijack!
240sx1wo2.jpg

You should try running the RAM and FSB together, for a 1:1 ratio.
And if you want to get past 3GHz, you should increase the CPU voltage by one notch at a time, until it becomes stable in Prime or Orthos.

Very nice wallpaper by the way....Your's?

I thought I tried that, i'll try again and see what happens. Thank you and yes its mine.

Off topic. Is that a VR-4?

Yes. :)

To everyone who have already posted in this thread.

Do not forget to post your final OC results in the Intel overclocking thread.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/official-intel-overclocking-thread-162488/

Plan to when I get what I want from it :D

ok, i see you are running a 680i..so imma help you out some since i have the same board and the same cpu

Thing is, I have the 680i LT. Less overclocking options.

Twisted that VID you mentioned in Core Temp never changes. That just shows you the default voltage for your q6600. Other people may have different numbers because they have different CPUs, ex. my e6600 says 1.275.

PS your car looks good :)

Thanks!

You should be able to get 3.4 to 3.6 pretty easy if you invest in a better cooler and pump some volts into your processor. Q6600s can take huge overclocks on air. I run mine at 3.6 every day with no problems and relatively low temps. Try running 400x9 with your memory set to a 2x (DD2 800) for a FSB:DRAM 1:1 ratio.

Car Thread Hijack!
240sx1wo2.jpg

lol nice. The volts didn't seem to help, I had it up to 1.46v (set at 1.5v in BIOS) and it was still unstable...probably just the way I have my memory set. As for the temps, that was all with the AS5 curing for only a couple hours. We'll see where they're at in a week when it fully cures.

Gonna try what Grievearz said, hopefully I can get something done before work :)

CPUINFO36.jpg

Well that was easy. THANK YOU ALL!!! :D :D :D (I'll do further/longer testing later I have to go to work now)

I realized what I was looking at in BIOS finally. With the 680i LT I can just set the RAM mhz to what I want it at (800) and it sets the divider for me. I can change the 1t/2t, which I did.

Temps flirted with 70*C a lot, but never went further than 71*C. Is that the magic number I don't want to cross? (those temps there are about 1 second after I halted Prime95, right now they're idling between 39-45*C)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom