GPU Overclocking...simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgcook

Fully Optimized
I've been pondering this for a while now. And its probably a stupid question. But....

Does GPU OCing rely on temps or voltage?

I mean you see these people using LN2 and getting close to 1000Mhz on a GTX/Ultra....but I can't get more than 710MHz on air and my temps don't go above 65*C. Do you have to add more voltage to the card before you can into serious OC's on the GPU?

I see people also doing benchmarks on air...then after they put water on the cards, they increase the clocks....but they make no mention of volt modding the cards?

From my own experience, it relies mostly on temps. Once you are able to take temps out of the equation (after-market cooling, water loop, whatever), then voltage can become a part of the mix.

With the new gens of cards, this may be different. The new chips don't run as hot as the old chips do. Since heat may not be as big of a factor, voltage could step onto the scene a bit earlier.

I would do some serious research into it before I pumped extra volage through a $500+ card. I am sure there are several yahoos out there in cyberland who have tested the limits, exceeded the limits, and have the blackened chunks of silicon to prove it. Surely some of these have posted up their stupidity for others to learn from. ;)

ya its all about voltage getting that high, and after a certain point comes the OVP, the over voltage protection, which is when the gpu hits a certain voltage, reguardless of temps, it'll drop the voltage.. this was the main problem they were having w/ overclocking the 8 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom