First time building... Pleas critique my evil plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

900RR

In Runtime
OK here is the system I'm planning
Wish list details <~~~ click

What I'm wondering about is:

1.) The 8800GT 256MB's... I'm going with these cause it saves me $160 over getting 2 512MB's... how much will that hurt me? considering I have 8gb of ram? Are there better choices of vid card combo? What about the new 8800GS's to come out??? How much power will I need to play games like Crysis and CoD4 on the 1920 x 1200, 24" monitor?

2.) 8GB of PC6400 RAM.... is that overkill? it's only $180... $90 for 4GB

3.) Vista Home Premium 64... or should I get Vista Ultimate 64?

4.) What is the weak link in this system and how can I make it more well rounded? Should I get a different HDD? Maybe 2 in Raid 0???

Thanks for the help :D

I would spend the money on ONE card... the resale alone would be better than 2... and yes the 512MB would perform better than the 256.. I wouldn't worry about the GS anytime soon... just go with what you know, cause before you know it... 2 more cards will come out... :p

4GB is more than enough for anything unless you plan on running a server... so yes... overkill.

about the only "weak link" I might be able to find is the CPU cooler... Tuniq, ZALMAN, or Scythe, make some of the best coolers... other than that it does look decent if you fix up the little things mentioned.

OK thanks, so would you say to just go with one 8800GT 512MB? Would that be enough to play crysis @ 1920 x 1200?

The CPU cooler I selected ends up being $1.99 after mail in rebate, that's why I selected it. I do plan to mildly overclock though, maybe bump the 2.66 up to 3.0 or 3.2 or so, will that handle that?

Is 8GB of RAM just a waste of $90? I should only go with 4GB? It's so cheap I'd almost like to pay $90 just to say I have 8GB of RAM!!! lol

if your going to OC, then I would spend the money and get something worth the money.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16835118020,N82E16835118223,N82E16835118003

Crysis will play just fine with one card, but you still won't be able to max it out... but at the res you want... no problem...

8GB is overkill. seriously... if you wanna have it then cool, but 4GB will do you just nicely until someone comes up with the apps to use 8GB for daily use, besides a server.

ok drop the 6 gb of ram, and just get 2 gb of crucial balstix, then get an asus maximus formula and go crossy 3870's itl eb about the same price as the system you have mentioned and will be loads faster, and with that you will be able to play crysis the way you want.

ok drop the 6 gb of ram, and just get 2 gb of crucial balstix, then get an asus maximus formula and go crossy 3870's itl eb about the same price as the system you have mentioned and will be loads faster.

I agree with you in every respect, but if he does get ultimate, wouldn't 4GB be more agreeable for doing all the vista eye-candy, but still be able to game effectively with high/mas settings, and still run high FPS? :question:

he would need more ram for the vista eye candy if he didnt have a good video card. but at the same time vista will run flawlessly on 2gb, at work we have a system with 1gb and ram and we put ultimate on it, it only uses about 48% ram so he should be fine with 2gb of fast ram.

How's this
Wish list details

$2,023 shipped
-$110 mail in rebate

$1,913 Total

I will see better performance with 2GB of 1066 RAM than 4GB of 800 huh?:confused: 2gb of 1066 = $99... 4gb of 800 = $91

I also dropped the 64-bit vista for 32-bit... no point if I'm not running 8GB of RAM right? LOL Still not sure of Ultimate or Home Premium, leaning to Home Premium to lessen the load on system resources.

Do I need some PCI coolers for these vid cards? all the reviews say they run real hot. Will I be able to play Crysis on High settings @ 1920 x 1200 with these 2?

Is SLI / Crossfire just something to blow money on or does it really improve your graphics? Like does it double them or only increase them by 15% or how much does it really do?

seems good, get 64 bit vista, and only get the crucial 6400 ram, you can easly oc it, and you wil leasly oc your proc to 3.5ghz with the maximus cpu step up on crazy its idiot proof. have fun with your build, yoru gonna love that board. cross fire scales very well, and games dont need to be optimized for it to run well unlike sli, if your over clockign the 2gb of crucial 800 will be better, and finally yes you will run crysis on high at that res with that setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom