HELP! 5000+ Black Edition running at 1GHz but 2.6GHz at loading?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
this is really weird. So i just install Vista, it is using the latest BIOS, dated 11/16/2007. When it is at idle, the clock frequency is at 1Ghz, but when it starts loading almost halfway, the speeds jump up to 2.6GHz n the voltage increases dramatically from 1.088v to 1.320v. Look at the screenshot im gonna post.

as for the ram, the DRAM frequency runs at 200MHz idle, but while loading, it runs up to 400MHz. The timings r 5-5-5-18 24 2T. The RAM isnt even using dual channel n the slots should be color coded, like green with green (which im using right now) n orange with orange. Look at the screenshot im gonna post.

also, for some odd reason, Windows Vista detects 232GB, but BIOS recognizes 250GB. WTF?!

i am using a crappy graphics card at the moment. I am using an ATI 9200 LE. Yes i know surprising, but i didnt want to try to get an HD 3870. Plus, i dont have the money yet for a new graphics card n the HD 3870 x2 is right around the corner. Anyways, the latest ATI driver supports the lowest 9500 series, so should i download it n hope for the best or use the stupid CD that came with the 9200 LE graphic card?

what must i do to fix these problems?

I am using:

MSI K9A2 Platinum
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ Black Edition (detects both cores btw)
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2 800 SDRAM 4-4-4-12 2.2v
Seagate 250GB SATA 3.0GB/s 7200.10 RPM
ATI 9200 LE

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

About the processor running at 1GHz instead of 2.6GHz, I think that's the AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet feature talking. It's a power saving feature. So it throttles down to 1GHz to consume less power.

If you don't want that happening, disable it in the BIOS.

AMD cool n quiet never seems to work for me, it just keeps my cpu at 1Ghz although it does keep it very cool, as B1 said disable it if you want your system to perform better

About the processor running at 1GHz instead of 2.6GHz, I think that's the AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet feature talking. It's a power saving feature. So it throttles down to 1GHz to consume less power.

If you don't want that happening, disable it in the BIOS.

oh.........ok ill do that right now. Thx for the info. Havent seen u in a long time B1gapl, where have u been?

link my new system?

back on topic, what about my RAM, HDD?

Cool N' Quiet (its like AMD's version of Intel Speedstep, but this came first)

ok, i turned off the Cool n' Quiet n that fixed it. Should i increase the HT link?

how do i change the timings of my RAM?

my computer still reads 232GB, but BIOS see's all 250GB capacity. Suggestions?

I cant change the CPU, HT, n RAM voltage in BIOS. The text is gray, meaning it is set to default settings. How do i change this, or do i need to get my mom's camera n take a pic of BIOS n show u guys?

with that board you can't hit enter and select a new setting, just use the + and - buttons to increase and decrease respectively. except for cpu voltage, + decreases and - increases.

The reason Windows is detecting 232 GB and your bios is detecting 250 is because they use different systems of measurement. Windows measures capacities in binary form (1GB = 1,024 MB), whereas HDD manufacturers and your bios measure it in decimal form (1GB = 1,000 MB). So it's the same capacity, you still have all of your GB's; it's just a different measurement.

Wildside said:
how do i change the timings of my RAM?

Go to the Cell Menu, from the main menu section of the BIOS, and then go to the Advanced DRAM configuration.

Not sure about the voltage settings. The best person to be talking about this motherboard, would be Apokalipse, since he has the same one.

yeah everything you said sounds normal. i have an AMD athlon 6000+ and when i first installed vista on it it read at different clock speeds to conserve power. you can adjust it in bios or in settins i believe i set it in settings, i just forget where its at. also vista only recognizes my 465 gig of my 500, you have nothin to be afraid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom