Should Switch to VISTA or not ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely. But i've never built my own rig before...and felt I could make an *** of it and blow 2K...so decided to buy pre-built. :(

Its not all bad though, a factory overclocked QX6850 thats warrented for 3 years, even while O/C'd :)

XP is good. Vista isnt that bad either. SP1 isnt gonna be a big thing like everyone thinks. Yes it will give you some, i repeat this SOME, performance boost but it will not make Vista as fast as XP. Nor will any SP ever do that. Why? Cause Vista is coded differently using a fully bloated kernel.

Honestly you should save the $$ and wait for Server 2008 to be released. It runs as fast if not faster than XP. It has the updated kernel and protection that Vista does and it also can get the Aero and other goodies that Vista has.

Personally i triple boot. XP/Vista/Ubuntu. I use whatever one i am in the mood for. Right now it is ubuntu cause i dont feel like gaming and it is secure for me to go anywhere on the net. I will go to Vista tomorrow since i have somethings to test out. I will probably be in XP for the new year.

It is personal preference. If you dont like XP or Vista then go with Linux. If you cant find a WiFi driver then i would say stick with XP as you have the best shot at everything on that for now.

XP is good. Vista isnt that bad either. SP1 isnt gonna be a big thing like everyone thinks. Yes it will give you some, i repeat this SOME, performance boost but it will not make Vista as fast as XP. Nor will any SP ever do that. Why? Cause Vista is coded differently using a fully bloated kernel.

Honestly you should save the $$ and wait for Server 2008 to be released. It runs as fast if not faster than XP. It has the updated kernel and protection that Vista does and it also can get the Aero and other goodies that Vista has.

Personally i triple boot. XP/Vista/Ubuntu. I use whatever one i am in the mood for. Right now it is ubuntu cause i dont feel like gaming and it is secure for me to go anywhere on the net. I will go to Vista tomorrow since i have somethings to test out. I will probably be in XP for the new year.

It is personal preference. If you dont like XP or Vista then go with Linux. If you cant find a WiFi driver then i would say stick with XP as you have the best shot at everything on that for now.

Thanks Makaveli for detailed tech info.. you know I'm not fan of those kind of 3d Graphical interface... I mean I just prefer Windows classic theme. but where with VIsta you can't modify ur desktop as much as linux does.. btw
I use linux(PClinuxOS) on P3 because no device installation problem. I have one more question.. How far I could go with this processor.. It crashes when It reaches around 2.9.. :(

Well with Server 2008 if you like the Classic theme you will love this install upon then. Cause upon install it is the classic theme with the Vista menus. That is all. ;)

As far as the OC goes. With a stock cooler you are most likely at your limit. If you got liquid cooling or something else you could probably get it to about 3GHz. Maybe a bit higher. But after that it would get to unstable.

Thanks Makaveli for detailed tech info.. you know I'm not fan of those kind of 3d Graphical interface... I mean I just prefer Windows classic theme. but where with VIsta you can't modify ur desktop as much as linux does.. btw

That's good because your video card won't do Aero in Vista. You have to have at lease the nvidia 6000 series for that. It can handle Compiz/Fusion in Linux, though.

Not really. There are some FX 5000 series and soime GO series that are not in the 6000 series that can do Aero. But for the most part anything beyond the 6000 series is what you would want. The cards below the 6000 series are few and far between.

Most likely. But i've never built my own rig before...and felt I could make an *** of it and blow 2K...so decided to buy pre-built. :(

Its not all bad though, a factory overclocked QX6850 thats warrented for 3 years, even while O/C'd :)

Dude $5350?? Jesus that's a ton. Are you made of money or something? Building your own computer is not hard at all. The stuff generally goes in one place, and only in a certain direction. I thought building a computer would be kind of hard, but I was really surprised at how easy it was.

$5350...wow...and it's a dell....

EDIT: I just calculated it all, and you could have built that EXACT system with higher quality parts for well under $3500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom