Simple RAM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaanish

Fully Optimized
If I take out some DDR667 of my mobo and then plug ddr 800 into the mobo, will the ddr800 downclock to 667? Because i want to see if my ram is defective and this is the only way how i can check.

Basically, will the system POST if the RAM isnt defective?

If the other ram you have is clocked at 667, than this stick should clock to that too.

If this would be the only stick in there, it shouldn't.

Oh so the FSB:RAM ratio will change without me resetting the CMOS?

To clear this up: I will take out two identical sticks of generic ddr667. Then put in two sticks of XMS2 800MHx. The mobo has only two ram slots.

Whats your ram situation, do you have 2 sticks, and your only taking one out and swapping it with an 800mhz stick?

If you only have the one stick I believe the motherboard will do all the jazz on its own, but I may be wrong.. I stuck in my 800Mhz memory and the bios had it set at 533Mhz.

The situation is:

Now, I have two 512MB sticks of 667 generic occupying the only two ram slots on the board.

I have two 1GB sticks of XMS2 800MHz on the desk in front of me.

I plan to take out both of the generic sticks and to then replace them with the XMS2 so that the two RAM slots are occupied with the XMS2.

If the XMS2 is in working order, will the system boot succesfully or will it just not POST at all?

BTW the reason that im doing this is to determine if my XMS2 is in working order and this is the only system that i have to test it on.

When the ram is bad it shouldn't post at all, most mobos have beep codes to let you know the ram has failed.

If it doesn't post you can try one stick at a time to determine which stick is bad.

I have done all of that stuff.

But if i do this:

take out both of the generic sticks and to then replace them with the XMS2 so that the two RAM slots are occupied with the XMS2.

And the XMS2 is working, will the PC POST? The PC is currently working fine with the generic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom