RAM question - overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
Hi guys,

I've successfully oc'ed my E6600 to 3.1Ghz (1400Mhz) without much strain. I'm getting roughly 40-43c idle and 57-58c load.

Anyway, I'm familiar with CPU overclocking, but as for RAM overclocking, I'm a little baffled.

My current RAM is 4 sticks of 1Gb OCZ PC2-8500 (1066Mhz) Reaper = 4Gb..

Now, when I've been into the BIOS, the settings show this, for RAM:

Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
Mem DDR, MHZ: 1067
Memory Timing Setting: Optimal
5 5 5 15 2T
Memory voltage: 2.3v

So my RAM's running unlinked to my CPU at 5-5-5-15 timings, I take it.

However, I need to know if these settings coincide with my current CPU settings (3.1Ghz) - are my current RAM settings creating any sort of bottleneck? Should I lower/increase them slightly?

If I set the Memory Timing Setting to "Expert" I can edit the timing values, is it worth doing so?

Cheers all.

Well 1066mhz is already quite fast....I don't think you will be able to get much more out of them.

You could try tightening the timings a bit...Try setting them to 4,4,4,12...then run memtest86...there's a good chance it will run at 4,4,4,12 since you are running 2.3v

hi gurusan,

Right, I've read up a little on RAM timings and its relationship with OC'ing, so here's my current situation.

I've overclocked my E6600 now to 3.6Ghz, so thats 1600Mhz, (400mhz x 4). With a multiplier of 9x.

Therefore, I "synched" my RAM with the new CPU FSB speed, so now my 1066Mhz RAM is doing 800Mhz so it coincides with the 1600Mhz (800 x 2 = 1600Mhz)

The timings are now 4-4-4-12.

No crashes so far, so far, so good. However..

I'm baffled with voltages. What should I set the voltages for the CPU and RAM too? Currently, everythings on "Auto". I've tried changed the CPU Voltage and FSB Voltages in the BIOS, but for some reason, when I change them manually, Windows fails to login (gets to the login screen, then after password has been typed in, it hangs).

The only way I can login is if I set my Voltages to "Auto". When I finally get logged in, the temps in Coretemp equal about 46-49c at idle.

Is there something wrong with my OC?

A recap:

CPU 1600Mhz FSB (400 x 4) x9 = 3.6Ghz
RAM 800mhz 4-4-4-12

Does it have something to do with the multiplier? Should I set that to 8, or lower?

Thanks.

I think you are confused...there's no way your ram is running at 1600mhz effective

I'd be very impressed if you got your ram to 600mhz (1200 effective)

No, I mean its running at 800mhz in order to get a Ratio of 1:1. My CPU FSB is running at 1600Mhz, so in order to coincide with that, my RAM clocks down to 800Mhz to run at 4-4-4-12, I think.

From what I understand, My OCZ 1066Mhz RAM is currently running at 800mhz, so 400Mhz x 2 (Because its DDR) = 800....

yeah but you are wasting the power of your ram. lol ram power!
your cpu does not need to run in a 1:1 ratio with your bus speed. in the old days, yes...but not now, and i can assure you that you will see better performance running it asynchronously (sp?), or "unlinked" at its higher rated speed. CERTAINLY if you can retain the 4-4-4-12 timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom