Q6600 G0 running TOOOOO HOT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude, that looks terrible...

Either your CPU is extremely concaved, or you aren't tightening the thumbscrews tight enough.

The way you applied it in the last pic is correct, just make sure to tighten up those thumbscrews and try to do so evenly.

i've never applied thermalpaste on a quad core before, but as veedub said, you needa make sure its going across all 4 cores

how do I know if its going across all four core?
how does the pic look to you?

EDIT: Hey gur, does the after pic look bad too? should i apply it in a diff way or is that good.

And i did tighten the screws a lot...so idk why it didnt spread...maybe i put too much paste.

Make sure the cooler is not coming in contact with something on the board when you tighten it down. From the pics, it is not seating all the way down (hitting something) and you should have better contact than that just by sitting it in place with hand pressure..

Make sure the cooler is not coming in contact with something on the board when you tighten it down. From the pics, it is not seating all the way down (hitting something) and you should have better contact than that just by sitting it in place with hand pressure..

can i have my tuniq in a different dirrection? like have the fan facing up since i have a top exhaust fan too?
And when i took the tuniq off i realised it was touching something...idk what its called but yeah...
This sucks since it never gave me problems with the e6550.

But i need your guy's confirmation if i applied the paste right this time so i can pout the cooler back on.

thanks.

Weird, I just apply a very smooth, consistent and paper-thin layer of paste on the entire cpu surface using my finger tip with a latex glove. Then I try and bring the heatsink surface down onto the cpu as evenly as possible and make sure it's sitting on there as tight as can be. I don't understand why you guys only cover some parts of the cpu?

Merkwürdigliebe;1269071 said:
Weird, I just apply a very smooth, consistent and paper-thin layer of paste on the entire cpu surface using my finger tip with a latex glove. Then I try and bring the heatsink surface down onto the cpu as evenly as possible and make sure it's sitting on there as tight as can be. I don't understand why you guys only cover some parts of the cpu?

the line method is just a sure-fire way to get the most contact on the cores.

makes sense if you look at where the cores are actually located.

core2quad2.JPG

line800qe9.jpg

Right, that makes sense, whereas my method is very iffy right?

I dunno, my temps seem to be just about right for a B3 stepping Q6600, plus I have all my 6 fans set to low (for quietness) and my case (unfortunately) is set into a computer placement thing in my desk that really restricts airflow a lot (my mom doesn't like it out on the open floor, she insists I have it put in there). I've got it overclocked to 3.0GHz w/ 1.3v for daily use and it downclocks to 2.0GHz when idle. Plus, my rents are blasting up the heating in the house with the cold winter here. With all this to consider, my average idle temp across all cores, according to coretemp, is about 45 degrees celsius while idle, and maxes at 69 on load with Prime95. I actually opened up my windows to do some benching and got my temps down to about 30 idle with a 3.6GHz overclock

Other methods are fine...I used to just put a small blob in the middle and wiggle it around to seat it..and it seemed to work fine. I think the line method is just a bit more of a sure-fire way to do it on quads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom