Windows XP Installation error

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkop16

Daemon Poster
hey,

Im currently trying to make a dual boot system for xp and ubuntu. I already have xp installed on the entire drive but i want to wipe it completely and make partitions for XP to install on. Ive taken all the data i want off the drive and defraged it several times (hoping the reinstall will go faster because of it). My main drive is 2 X WD 250gig SATA2 drives in raid 0.

Ok i insert the xp boot disk and set dvd drive as first boot device in bios. I hit enter to boot from cd. When it gets to the screen where it asks me to hit f6 to install additional drivers, i repeatedly hit f6 but i guess it ignores me or my f6 button doesn't work because it skips on and starts loading files. But i guess its not a problem since later it says it can't find a hard drive to load to and asks me if i want to install drivers again. So I hit "s" to load additional drivers and find the correct driver i need from the floppy drive and hit enter. It loads and i say continue. After a couple more files load and it says "starting windows," i get an error:

error.jpg

Bigger image: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/darkop16/DSC01354.jpg

I just want to get to the part where the windows XP disc lets me partition the HDD so i can wipe the current install of XP and create the partitions i want for XP to reinstall on. If i set the boot device back to the raid 0 setup it boots back into my old install of XP just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
darkop16

edit:
I found an option in my bios: "Max CPUID Value Limit"
Description: "This should be enabled in order to boot legacy OSes unable to support CPUs with extended CPUID functions"

Ive always had this disbaled and my current XP installs just fine.
Here are my specs if that helps:
asus p5b deluxe/wifi (wifi is disabled)
e6600 @ 3.2ghz
2x1gb g skill HZ's ddr2800
evga 8800gts
2 X WD 250gig SATA2 HDD's in raid 0

It looks like you might have the wrong RAID drivers.

There were four options to choice from...let me get back to the screen and ill post them, but I did choice the driver the mobo manual said to use.

ok here they are:

Intel(R) ICH8R/D0/DH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH8R) (the one i thought i was supposed to use)
Intel(R) ICH8R/D0/DH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller (Server/Workstation ESB2)
Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB SATA Controller (Server/Workstation ESB2)

Should i try each one or just load them all?

Edit: Ummm...ok it just worked now. I got past the widows is starting screen and now at the Setup screen. I didn't do anything different either, i just wanted to get to the error screen again and shutdown the computer so i could hook up another keyboard to see if i could get f6 to work, but whatever :p.

edit edit: Im at the partition menu now and just deleted the old partition with xp on it, so do i just create the partitions one by one starting with the 20gb XP partition and ending with the shared storage partition since its going to be NTFS format?

It could also have jsut of been a glitch in the Install. It is working now so best of luck to you.

Also how do i find the actual MB space of the partitions i want to create? I know there is number out there that i multiply the gigs by to get actual MB but i can't find it.

20gb = ?MB
30gb = ?MB
400gb = ?MB

Is this right ???:
20gb = 19028 MB
30gb = 28543 MB
400gb = 380570 MB

Stupid HDD manufacturers :p

I went with the file sizes i came up with anyways. Hopefully i did the math right.

Ok so i make the partitions and i select the first one to install windows on and format it to NTFS format. How do i format the other partitions to NTFS format or was i supposed to do that before i chose the drive i wanted windows to install to?

Well you can use GParted to format the partitions that are already created. Just click on the partition and check format. It should be a right click on the partition. Then you will see the format option and the file system to choose from.

gparted is the partition creator on the ubuntu disk right?

edit: yeah i got into the new xp install and the 30gig and 400gig paritions are showing up as raw file systems. Hopefully i can get the ubuntu partition creator to format them to ntfs so i don't have to go through the xp disk again.

GParted is a LiveCD as well. It is the same partition manager used on the Ubuntu disc.

SourceForge.net: Files

There is the download for the LiveCD. Just insert it and everythign else should be easy to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom