HD 3850 sucks? Drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
Hmm...

Perhaps just a driver issue, but from my findings the HD 3850 isn't very good at all.

My buddy got one for Christmas. He was having some trouble with it in his PC, not really getting the FPS he should have been. His PC is pretty out dated and not very fast, so he came over and I threw it in my PC. I barely got higher FPS (no more than 30 - 40 more) in any of my games (CoD4, BF2...Oblivion had even less gain).

Using version 7.12 drivers from ATi. I hope it's just a driver issue. I would like to hope a brand new card would be a lot better than my 2 year old card. According to the card specs, it should blow mine out of the water.

So, what gives? Does the 3850 just suck? How does the 3870 compare to the 3850?

my card can blow through cod4 100+ fps everything maxed so its not the card at all. yeah, check the power, also try just installing the drivers that came with the disk.

My 3870's get very high fps in 3dmark06, and rip apart 3dmark05

.....just out of curiosity, do you have the 256MB or 512MB card? (talking to Peter.Cort and CrazeD)

i've got the 256mb. i jumped on them when they came out and they hadn't come out with the 512 yet. but i've got some sick aftermarket cooling jerry-rigged up on it so it runs nice and cool

The 3850 is almost double the performance of a x1900xt, so I would say there's something else wrong.

Then perhaps it is a driver problem. We tried the latest version from ATi's website, as well as the CD drivers... same deal. I was going to run 3dMark06 but it froze on me and I forgot to try again before I took it out.

Insufficient power?

Nah, my PSU has plenty of juice for it.

My 3870's get very high fps in 3dmark06, and rip apart 3dmark05

.....just out of curiosity, do you have the 256MB or 512MB card? (talking to Peter.Cort and CrazeD)

It was the 256mb version. By Visiontek (lol, probably the problem eh?)

In any case, I think he's going to return it and get an 8800GT instead. I definitely wasn't very impressed with it, only slight improvement over my card. It could very well be a driver problem or some other problem, though. We'll see how the 8800GT compares when he gets that.

Hmm he says he tried the ones on the CD again and now it's faster for him. I guess he didn't do them right the first time. When I tried it out I just downloaded the newest.

As with most new ATi cards, they suck at drivers! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom