hard drive noise - ide cable or faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks MicroBell,

Someone on another forum said:
'You're board will support that drive, but won't be able to operate it in UDMA100 mode as your motherboard controllers only are capable of UDMA66 support. Not a bit deal, just so ya know...'

They also said to try 'Hitachi/IBM's Drive Fitness Test' tool which i downloaded from here:
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

This came back listing no problems. It detects cable problems, over heating, vibrations, corrupt hard drives etc.

Any more thoughts?

Jolancers, it's new. Just used that link to show the model.

Killians, yeah it does. It's hard to replicate when it does it. I've tried loading up loads of programs and it doesn't do it. Other times I'll just be sat doing nothing and it will make the noise.

Last night it gave me a fright as it made the faint squeking noise then a little clunk, the kind of noise it makes just before it looses power when the computer is shut down.

A guy in another forum said:
I would however look into the swap file size, because the description you give makes me think the noise you hear could be the drive thrashing because of virtual space being used up and the machine is trying to compensate.

So I've looked into that also. As I said above, I have 256mb ram. I've put on a little system monitor that looks at memory, cpu, hard drive usage etc.
Just running Win XP Pro and IE takes up 85% of my physical memory.

I've looked at the virtual memory settings and they are...

(these can be set)
Initial size: 384mb
Max size: 768mb

(paging file size - just displayed in settings)
Min: 2mb
Recommended: 382mb
Currently allocated: 384mb

What do you think to those settings?

If it happens during idle times it maybe setting restore points. I'm assuming XP restore works somewhat like wildfile goback worked. After awhile of being idle, it goes and checks for changes in files etc and then notes them and updates accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom