Intel Duo Vs. Intel Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

iGarrett

Solid State Member
Alright, I have now reached a dilemma. I have been trying to decide on which processor to get for my 780i build (only choosing the 780i because of pci-e 2.0). I don't want to spend a grand on a processor so that knocks out the lovely Yorkfield.

So here is my problem. I can't pick between the Q6600 (quad) and the E6750 (dual).
Why don't I just fall in love with the quad?
Because the E6750 is a) cheaper, b) has 1333MHz FSB, c) has 2.66 GHz clock speed
BUT, the Q6600 has promise as well because of it being quad core and also having 8MB L2. Other than that, I think the E6750 has it beat.
But because I'm very novice at this kind of stuff, I need your opinions and which one I should get... Thanks!

Newegg.com Pricing:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Meh, I forgot about using the search... I just wish that the quad had 1333 mhz. I mean I could get a QX#### but that's going to end up being way too expensive for my budget. I'm just looking at building a low budget yet powerful gaming/graphic design pc.

Yes, get a Q6600.

They are amazing.

Mine can do 3.6 Ghz without a problem, and with the new memory I hope to hit 3.8 Ghz.

Make sure it G0 stepping, so order it from clubit..

Meh, I forgot about using the search... I just wish that the quad had 1333 mhz. I mean I could get a QX#### but that's going to end up being way too expensive for my budget. I'm just looking at building a low budget yet powerful gaming/graphic design pc.

Thats why we have OVERCLOCKING!!
iGarrett: Check out the Intel Overclocking thread Here.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/official-intel-overclocking-thread-162488/

Quick question. do you plan on going SLI? If the answer is no, get a p35 or x38 board. The 780i boards are nvidia chipsets and just launched. If they are anything like the 680i boards they had a TON of problems for about the first 6 months they were out.

also: get a q6600 make sure its g0 stepping "slacr" is the last part of the part number.

I didn't plan on SLI because I believe that SLI doesn't do much for you...

Should I get an ASUS then?

just a matter of how long you plan to keep your pc, ie., future proofing. If you are like some here who gets a new pc every 1-2 years, it doesn't really matter.

I keep my personal builds for something like 8-10 years.

get the p35-ds3L.
If you want raid and more sata ports, get the p35 ds3r.

THat should save you atleast a hundred bucks so then it wont be a problem getting the q6600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom