Changed the drive letter of CD-Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

miCkz

Baseband Member
After partitioning with xp setup my cd-rom was D: and in between of the partitions. I had to change it to the K: But now the list appears like this "C: E:" There is no D: It should have been refreshed and arranged alphabetically. What do i do now?

Screenshot: Drop.io adiwqs8

Right click on my computer> manage>click on disk management>right click on the drive you want to change and select change drive letter

So are you telling me now i have to edit each and every hardrive partitions? It won't affect my data or anything?

It COULD affect your data. Only if you installed applicaitons on there with registry entries and executables. If the executables see that as drive D:\ and you switch it to drive e:\ you will have to make sure you edit every applicaiton and possibly every registry entry to match the new drive letter.

It COULD affect your data. Only if you installed applicaitons on there with registry entries and executables. If the executables see that as drive D:\ and you switch it to drive e:\ you will have to make sure you edit every applicaiton and possibly every registry entry to match the new drive letter.

according to his picture. he just need to change his k drive to d and that's it. he didn't need to ask this question.

it does apply to moving other partitions though.drive mapper of partition magic make this an easy chore

Ahh the screenshot was up there when i posted. o.0

That is why i explain it like that.

LOL! I guess you did not get it. I actually changed my CD-ROM From D: to the K: I don't want the MEDIA DRIVE to be in the middle of hard-drive partitions.

Okay what now? You are not talking about just letter now are you. You are talking about the actual Data itself?

If that is the case you have to PHYSICALLY MOVE IT to a open partition that you want it on.

If that still isnt the case then expalin in more detail. Cause we have already given you every answer that your very brief descriptions could describe.

Okay what now? You are not talking about just letter now are you. You are talking about the actual Data itself?

If that is the case you have to PHYSICALLY MOVE IT to a open partition that you want it on.

If that still isnt the case then expalin in more detail. Cause we have already given you every answer that your very brief descriptions could describe.

exactly

The guy moved his D: drive (CD-Rom) to K: so now he wants all of the others to be changed back a letter to fill in the empty D: spot.

My suggestion is if your last partition doesn't have any applications installed on it that have registry settings, just change that drive to D: and change your CD drive to J: if you want.

You don't have to change them all. The drive letter has nothing at all to do with where on the hard drive that partition physically exists. They are just letters that Windows uses to access that partition.

Honestly, why does it matter that the CD drive is D:? And why do you need that many Windows partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom